Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30k lines... Realistic income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

30k lines... Realistic income?

I have been a long time lurker. I've seen many of the regulars with 30,50,100k limits on their cards. I even know some people IRL who have super high limits like that. However those people I know for a fact are reporting over 500k before taxes. Probably more.

I've been digging out of a hole, was at 550 this time last year, and I just broke 720 this week on TU, 700 on EXP/EQ.

So, for a person or couple making, say... 100-120k...what is a realistic upper end? If you're playing the credit "game" and just want the most you can get as fast as possible... Let's call it a more profitable version of candy crush!!

What is a realistic number? If I had an 850 fico 8 and a 900 fico bank card... Can you get a 30k line with 100k income? Can you get more? Can you get multiple? I don't want the headaches of checking 25 credit lines a month. I want say... 5 revolving and I want 10 trillion dollars credit on each haha...

Keep in mind... I don't actually NEED 30k. I make a PIF payment every week or two. I am addicted to the cash back and bonus categories and perks (extended warranty, etc). At what point can I say I've won?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 30k lines... Realistic income?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been a long time lurker. I've seen many of the regulars with 30,50,100k limits on their cards. I even know some people IRL who have super high limits like that. However those people I know for a fact are reporting over 500k before taxes. Probably more.

I've been digging out of a hole, was at 550 this time last year, and I just broke 720 this week on TU, 700 on EXP/EQ.

So, for a person or couple making, say... 100-120k...what is a realistic upper end? If you're playing the credit "game" and just want the most you can get as fast as possible... Let's call it a more profitable version of candy crush!!

What is a realistic number? If I had an 850 fico 8 and a 900 fico bank card... Can you get a 30k line with 100k income? Can you get more? Can you get multiple? I don't want the headaches of checking 25 credit lines a month. I want say... 5 revolving and I want 10 trillion dollars credit on each haha...

Keep in mind... I don't actually NEED 30k. I make a PIF payment every week or two. I am addicted to the cash back and bonus categories and perks (extended warranty, etc). At what point can I say I've won?

I look at it this way, why? What purpose does it serve to have that much credit line?  Sure it can help your utililzation but you say you PIF every week or so, so I don't see that being an issue.

I get the perks but you can get those with a lower limit.

Just curious as to why you want so much?

And yes you can get up to 30K with making that much money a year.

Message 2 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

You can get 30k lines on half that income and with scores in the upper 600s into the 700s.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the point of the long time members having that high a balance? Essentially, for me, no point.

Did you ever play drug wars (I think it was called) back in the day on your TI calculator? It's a game. Instead of clicking buttons to buy and sell drugs, avoid prison... I'm clicking buttons to pay my bills, request CLis, app for cards and avoiding Amex FR lol!

Oh, and as for being able to "say" I have x amount in credit... Well that's just bragging. All my high scores in the arcade said AAA ;-)

So, back to my original question... What is a realistic upper number? When do I "win"?
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the point of the long time members having that high a balance? Essentially, for me, no point.

Did you ever play drug wars (I think it was called) back in the day on your TI calculator? It's a game. Instead of clicking buttons to buy and sell drugs, avoid prison... I'm clicking buttons to pay my bills, request CLis, app for cards and avoiding Amex FR lol!

Oh, and as for being able to "say" I have x amount in credit... Well that's just bragging. All my high scores in the arcade said AAA ;-)

So, back to my original question... What is a realistic upper number? When do I "win"?

I don't think you "win".  I guess you could always try to have more credit thank you make in a year but I do not see the point in that.

There are a lot of factors that go into play in obtaining credit.

The difference between the Drug wars game (that was a fun game, I bet you can find ithe original online lol) and this, is that this is real life there is no reset button if you get yourself into trouble with having that much credit.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Define trouble? If I don't use the credit (I don't plan to) then what trouble could I get into? If I want to buy a big ticket item like a house or a bunch of cars at once or something... I could easily call my credit lines and have them lowered... But I don't see any other implications
Message 6 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I also love my cash back! I'm always looking to save some money some where.
It's not the credit lines that get people in trouble. It's not having the discipline to manage them. If you have the discipline, it doesn't matter how large your trade lines are. There are quite a few on this site with a half million and some with more than that. It's the person doing the swiping that causes issues. Lol

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly! If I get into trouble somewhere down the road, and I start carrying a balance... I wouldn't blame the cc company... I'd blame whatever made me so hard up for money... Hopefully not drug wars lol... You know what they say... Blame the video games. It's their fault.

So... We have one vote for same credit as yearly income... I know that can't include mortgages... Those are usually a multiple of most people's income. That would also not count auto loans too? Does anyone think the high score is above that?
Message 8 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Exactly! If I get into trouble somewhere down the road, and I start carrying a balance... I wouldn't blame the cc company... I'd blame whatever made me so hard up for money... Hopefully not drug wars lol... You know what they say... Blame the video games. It's their fault.

So... We have one vote for same credit as yearly income... I know that can't include mortgages... Those are usually a multiple of most people's income. That would also not count auto loans too? Does anyone think the high score is above that?

Lol...yeah the mortgage and auto loans are secured lines. You are referring to non-secured tradelines.

I'm not following..high score above what?

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back to the video game analogy... Counting JUST the income, as I don't expect to make 3x more than I make now anytime soon. With all things going exactly perfect, highest possible credit scores etc... I win when I hit the high score...

I think it's higher than yearly income. Is it 1.5x? 2x? What's the best I can hope for? Keep in mind, I've been playing this video game for the past year and I'm addicted... It's fine if it takes me a decade to win :-)
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.