Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Soft Inquiries by my old Mtg Company

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 Soft Inquiries by my old Mtg Company

Hey everyone.....I'm a newbie here....thanks in advance for any help you can be.

I am starting to go back and rebuild my credit and notice on my TU report that GMAC Mtg has done 4 soft pulls on me since 4/06. I paid my mortgage off with them back in January of '06. Why the heck do they need to be accessing my credit report FOUR times AFTER our business has concluded. Just FYI, they were paid in full when we sold our home.
They pulled  4/06, 7/06, 10/06 and 1/07.

These were soft pulls, but I still have to question their motives for the inquires.

Is this legal?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4 Soft Inquiries by my old Mtg Company

Nope- It is not legal

They did not have PP.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.

I had previously planned to send out a GW letter to them to see about removing some of the lates on the account. Do you think I should send the GW's prior to the "pay me lowlife" letter. Smiley Happy I think I need to send those out prior........that way if they don't take them off, I will at least know I have an alternate route to take to get them to work with me.

Anyone else have opinions on how I should proceed?

Message 3 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

You can try a seriously modified GW letter if you want... but IMHO companies will keep doing this unless we the consumer enforce our rights and teach them that we take this very seriously and know we can sue and win. 

I would go right to the non-authorized INQ letter http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=3900 and let them know they are liable for 4k in court.  I personally would ask for half that if they wanted to avoid the mess.

Your choice but they are not going to give you a hard time about this unless they are reaaaalllly stupid.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have a similar situation, and what I want is for my lender to remove the lates in lieu of the $1000 fine. (Removed lates would be more valuable than the cash in my case.) Has anyone ever tried this, and do you do it all in one letter, or do you send a letter challenging the inqs, and if/ when they respond, request that the lates be deleted?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just sent out the letters last week for the DW.
Both for hard and soft non-PP inq's demanding removal of all derogatory reporting.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I have a similar situation, and what I want is for my lender to remove the lates in lieu of the $1000 fine. (Removed lates would be more valuable than the cash in my case.) Has anyone ever tried this, and do you do it all in one letter, or do you send a letter challenging the inqs, and if/ when they respond, request that the lates be deleted?

Message 6 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Timothy wrote: Just sent out the letters last week for the DW. Both for hard and soft non-PP inq's demanding removal of all derogatory reporting.

haulingthescoreup wrote: I have a similar situation, and what I want is for my lender to remove the lates in lieu of the $1000 fine. (Removed lates would be more valuable than the cash in my case.) Has anyone ever tried this, and do you do it all in one letter, or do you send a letter challenging the inqs, and if/ when they respond, request that the lates be deleted?

Thanks, Timothy, glad you're an early riser!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

-Called GMAC and they deny looking at my file. They say it must be a mistake on TU's part.

-Called TU and they say GMAC did inquire on the file and the entries are correct. The customer service guy also said that GMAC has the right to look at my file since I had a prior relationship with them. Even after I explained the account was closed 3 months prior to the first inquiry. He still claims they have the right to view it when they want.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Message 8 of 10
Boswd
Valued Contributor

The one thing I can think of if they are doing soft pulls which are usually done for promotional reasons is to see since you were a former customer that was in good standing they may want to see if you qualify for some promotions they might have.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI ncphoto I have tried 2 times with a GW letter and declined both times saying they cant remove accurate reportings--however I am giving it a break I think I may try just one more time to see what happens--anyone know a better way to go about it or who is best to contact in the company with GW letters
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.