Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 point TransUnion drop for no reason.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

60 point TransUnion drop for no reason.

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Yesterday I got an email from Credit Karma saying my credit score went down. I've maintained an 795-802 over the past 5 years at all 3 credit bureaus. I logged in and to my shock TransUnion dropped by 59 points! There are no new accounts, no delinquencies, no closed accounts, literally no changes whatsoever. I monitor my credit regularly using Credit Karma and the free utilities provided by my credit cards. I yelled out in shock and a co-worker rolled her chair back to see what happened. I showed her my score so she checked her email and saw the SAME email from Credit Karma and she lost 55 points. I immediately texted everyone I could think of, asking them to check their scores and so far none have experienced this. The only thing my co-worker and I even have in common is a Chase Freedom credit card with close to no utilization. Has anyone else experienced such a drastic drop that was unexplained? My credit utilization is usually aroung 6% (12% at the moment after buying a few laptops). All of my vehicles are paid off and I have a mortgage that I've never missed a payment or had a late payment on. I'm kind of freaking out here. I also ran a full credit report and after sifting through pages and pages of it there is no explanation. The other 2 bureaus are still at 797 and 799 while TransUnion is 742. What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 60 point TransUnion drop for no reason.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Yesterday I got an email from Credit Karma saying my credit score went down. I've maintained an 795-802 over the past 5 years at all 3 credit bureaus. I logged in and to my shock TransUnion dropped by 59 points! There are no new accounts, no delinquencies, no closed accounts, literally no changes whatsoever. I monitor my credit regularly using Credit Karma and the free utilities provided by my credit cards. I yelled out in shock and a co-worker rolled her chair back to see what happened. I showed her my score so she checked her email and saw the SAME email from Credit Karma and she lost 55 points. I immediately texted everyone I could think of, asking them to check their scores and so far none have experienced this. The only thing my co-worker and I even have in common is a Chase Freedom credit card with close to no utilization. Has anyone else experienced such a drastic drop that was unexplained? My credit utilization is usually aroung 6% (12% at the moment after buying a few laptops). All of my vehicles are paid off and I have a mortgage that I've never missed a payment or had a late payment on. I'm kind of freaking out here. I also ran a full credit report and after sifting through pages and pages of it there is no explanation. What should I do?

If you’ve lurked in here for a while you do know that those are vantagescore 3 scores. Not FICO scores. So they take data and use them differently. An old account may have fallen off and took the average age down. There are a million things that could have changed on ones report. I wouldn’t worry too much being it isn’t a FICO score. And your utilization went from 6% to 12%. That will cause a drop in your score. Not accounting for The Whole amount, but a chunk of it.

Message 2 of 11
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Two points.. 1. Credit karma scores are called FAKO scores for a reason- They are fake FICO scores. 2. If your FICO scores dropped, they is always a reason.

Best bet is to order a 3B FICO score and compare it to your credit karma score and to your EQ and EX reports. Also you stated that monitor your score with a couple of credit card services too.. Are those cards monitoring your transunion credit file,? if so, did they drop as well??
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Capital One's service and Chase's service both reflect the current 742 TU score. The above poster is correct, in a panic I missed that an old Navy Fed cc that I closed in 2006 has in fact is not reflecting anymore and the average age has changed by 1 year exactly. 60 points is such a big hit. It may be my OCD, or pride in scores on every board that have me in a panic. I'll have to do a FICO report to be sure.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Capital One's service and Chase's service both reflect the current 742 TU score. The above poster is correct, in a panic I missed that an old Navy Fed cc that I closed in 2006 has in fact is not reflecting anymore and the average age has changed by 1 year exactly. 60 points is such a big hit. It may be my OCD, or pride in scores on every board that have me in a panic. I'll have to do a FICO report to be sure.

Capital one is:

Message 5 of 11
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to do a FICO report to be sure.

As others have already said: hold on here. The VS3 score barely says anything about your FICOs, why the worry?

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, very simple what you should do here. First, ignore the CK, CO and Chase scores you are looking at as they are all VS 3.0. Next, get a real FICO score if you haven't yet. Creditscorecard.com is a great place to start. You can also do a $1 trial from credit check total if you'd like all 3 of your FICO 08 scores.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do! Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has Credit Karma been hacked because I just checked my score with Credit Karma and the same thing has happened with only TransUnion my credit score has dropped 70 points for no reason, both Transunion and Equifax have the same information and for some reason only the TransUnion score has dropped 70 points on Credit Karma, so it so it seems that maybe Credit Karma has been hacked because this has happened to more than just 1 person, so far it has happened to 10 people that I know of, and just suddenly, it just doesn't seem right.
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I use CK just for monitoring purposes only; but it does have a “See what’s changed” button. Click it and find out what has changed on your TU report.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.