cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

652 Credit Score, no tradelines, 2 closed positive accounts, which credit cards should I apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

652 Credit Score, no tradelines, 2 closed positive accounts, which credit cards should I apply for?

Hey all, glad to have found this board, looking to improve my credit, I basically don't use it. I am getting into real estate and it would be nice to have some extra access to capital for property renovations, ideally around $15,000. I have low debt to income ratios, let me know which cards you guys recommend to build my credit, and thanks in advance for all replies. 

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 652 Credit Score, no tradelines, 2 closed positive accounts, which credit cards should I apply f

Specific advice is difficult since there are a lot of options to look for. Go around to the various major issuers' pre-qualification sites and see if you get any offers when you enter your information. If you get a solid single-figure APR quote or a small range (around 3 or 4 points), your chances for approval are good.

Message 2 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 652 Credit Score, no tradelines, 2 closed positive accounts, which credit cards should I apply f

joe8185 will prequalification appear as inquiries on my credit report? I wanted to be a sharpshooter in this regards, only to apply to the ones that would approve with approximately the credit limits I am looking to get approved for. Let me know thanks

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

joe8185 apparently my bank (citibank) has a prequalification that doesn't hurt your credit score, they advised me for Citi Simplicity or Citi Double Cash, both with 0% introductory APR, any recommendations? Also, are there any prequalification sites that would let you know the limit you are approved for? 

@Anonymous wrote:

Specific advice is difficult since there are a lot of options to look for. Go around to the various major issuers' pre-qualification sites and see if you get any offers when you enter your information. If you get a solid single-figure APR quote or a small range (around 3 or 4 points), your chances for approval are good.

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is going to be hard to get those limits out of the gate. Your best bet would be NFCU or PenFed as they are known for high limits, but I don't think they offer prequals.

No prequals are going to be a HP. No prequal will tell you what the limit will be, either.

Aside from the CUs, Discover and Amex are both known to grow quickly.

Message 5 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy

So , you have 0 credit cards is this correct?. I think you need to give some more specific info on how your credit profile looks before you can get any real good recomendations that havent been given so far.

If you have to rebuild or build credit its gonna be quite difficult to just expect to apply for a prime bank card and be given a big credit line. These things usually have to be built up by your profile . If you want to rebuild or build best place is in the rebuild sub forum as there are lots of great advice. Its just drive by credit isnt the norm and i would caution just trying to pick up huge limits only because its what you want now. Best of luck with your journey, please make sure you research how to do so correctly so there is less frustration in the end Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the recommendation ma'am, going to check them out to see if they offer prequals. I bank with Citibank, sounds like I should switch to a credit union right? 

@Anonymous wrote:

It is going to be hard to get those limits out of the gate. Your best bet would be NFCU or PenFed as they are known for high limits, but I don't think they offer prequals.

No prequals are going to be a HP. No prequal will tell you what the limit will be, either.

Aside from the CUs, Discover and Amex are both known to grow quickly.

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes sir, I have 0 credit cards, and I have 3 closed accounts (positively paid off) from a furniture rental company back when I was in college.  652 TU, 652 Experian, and it seems my Equifax isn't pulling anything. Let me know what you think is a good course of action, I just don't want to apply and get approved for a $1,000 limit, it would defeat the purpose of what I need the credit card for in the first place. 

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy

So , you have 0 credit cards is this correct?. I think you need to give some more specific info on how your credit profile looks before you can get any real good recomendations that havent been given so far.

If you have to rebuild or build credit its gonna be quite difficult to just expect to apply for a prime bank card and be given a big credit line. These things usually have to be built up by your profile . If you want to rebuild or build best place is in the rebuild sub forum as there are lots of great advice. Its just drive by credit isnt the norm and i would caution just trying to pick up huge limits only because its what you want now. Best of luck with your journey, please make sure you research how to do so correctly so there is less frustration in the end Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure about scores but focus on Discover, Amex, and Penfed or Navyfed.  Also you might want a Lowes account which can grow to very large limits with a phone call.

Focus in that range and build them up with CLI's as they are capable of growing high quickly, then after a year+ you can check out Chase as they give out great starting lines when the profile supports it.  I'd stay away from the lower tier citi cards as they almost always have lower starting lines than what other banks would offer the same profile.

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not going to get much more than 1k, but you have to eventually start somewhere. 

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.