cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70% utilization boost

tag

70% utilization boost

I guess you could also call it the 70% utilization penalty. But I'm more a glass half full guy.

I had heard that anything reporting as over 70% shows the TL maxed out and penalizes more points for the balance. I set out to test this with my Barclays apple finance card. I have $2k limit with them and am sitting on top of a 0% financing offer for the ladies MBP. I paid the balance down to $1399.99 or exactly under 70% util for this statement.

As luck would have it I had a credit alert several days this week.

Monday I was at a 612 yesterday I was a 623 down from a 625 on Tuesday (my new amex acct hit and had a very high balance short statement month I guess). This afternoon I had an alert my score increased to a 632 as Barclays had reported the new balance. The reason given was "a high limit account has less of an impact on your score"

Pretty cool 8 point gain for the extra $3 I paid last month just to be below 70%. EQ is my lowest score I'm thrilled to see the jump this week. May be ahead of the pace for a VA loan this year.

Happy Crediting to all!
Starting Score (11/2012): 537 EQ
January 2014: 607 EQ 632 TU 658 EX (Amex)
Current: 677 EQ

**Homeowner February 2015**

Wallet: Cap One Quicksilver ($2,000), Macys ($300), Target ($200), Barclays Financing ($2,000), Barclays Rewards ($1,300), Delta Amex ($4,200), Lowes ($5,000).
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: 70% utilization boost

The figure cited for being maxed out is typically 70-90%, and I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone.  It might depend on what bucket you're in.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Also, the potential impact of high util can, if maintained for a period of time, trigger a pssible review by the creditor of a credit limit decrease, thus reducing their potental risk.

Occasional bumps are expected, but prolonged high util might indicate that you are living on credit, and have thus become a higher risk consumer.

Message 3 of 5
Darrell82
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Also, the potential impact of high util can, if maintained for a period of time, trigger a pssible review by the creditor of a credit limit decrease, thus reducing their potental risk.

Occasional bumps are expected, but prolonged high util might indicate that you are living on credit, and have thus become a higher risk consumer.

Very good Point. I dont even like to get close to 50%. I tend to try and keep balances lower then the 15% overall mark. Just incase i want to jump into a loan for a house i would not have to wait for my balances to report a lower balance to  apply.

Message 4 of 5
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Im trying to get to this point overall.  Im at 85% right now. But dh just added a citi card with 7k limit so overall I will be there so should see a boost.  After march I'll only have 4 cards with balanances of 12 all 90%.  So next goal is to get those down below 70%

Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.