cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 open trade lines have just flipped on the RED ALERT switch.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8 open trade lines have just flipped on the RED ALERT switch.

You know what, I have heard of that.  I am a HS science teacher and I do teach in a Title One school ( I think).  I will inquire about that when I call the DOE.  Thank you.
Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to say last night that the rep at West Asset suggested that I use the money in 403b to pay down this debt.  THIS IS NOT AN OPTION.  I have been told that this something that should never be done and how do get that money back if I take out???  Hell, no.  There are other options and I am going to try to have a positive attitude in this situation, but it is tough.
Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plead your case about the condition you had and how it would have prevented you from your goals as part of your case to them. They have forgiven some loans based on things like that but don't use it as your whole defense.

That's my thought on it.

Do a web search and see what results you get for others who had loans forgiven.

After that you may have to go to loan rehab if you exhaust all options.

Message Edited by EddieX on 01-16-2008 09:16 AM
Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry to hear this I dont know much about student loans i am in about 50k of debt myself with them but it doesnt nearly compare to yours---keep the faith and dont let it get the best of you--just keep trying to figure and work things out ---again dont let it gert the best of you--find out all your options and then execute from there
Message 24 of 31
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Lando,

Don't be like me and let it stress you out.  About 2-3 months ago, I was in the hospital because I allowed all this credit stuff to completely stress me out til it started affecting my body.  You are already having or had enough medical issues to know that worry, stress and anger are all killers.  Your life is way more important and valuable and pray and ask God to help you with this and do as the other posters suggested.  It will work out, my stuff did and I had been trying for 1-1/2 years with every door being closed in my face, but God.  My fico friends encouraged me, prayed for and with me and gave me good, solid advice on steps to take and today I am a better person for it.

Be encouraged, its not over yet...

Hearts
I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, myhearts and everybody here for your words of encouragement.  I talked to the West Asset rep and her supervisor yesterday and he is really pressuring me to agree to payment plan that I cannot afford with threats of garnishment.  I qualify for the rehab but I cant afford the rehab because of the balance.  This is stressful and the exchange got kind of heated.  It is like they want me to tell them something that they want to hear.  What they are offering me is completely out of line with what I make and if don't agree to what they are offering, they are making it seem like it is a flat out refusal to pay.  I can't survive with what they want me to give them.  I hope people at the DOE are more understanding. 

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 01-17-2008 06:01 AM
Message 26 of 31
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

Do you have the time to take some classes at a community college?  I believe if you take two courses (even online courses), you can get your loan deferred.  This would really help with subsidized loans because no interest would accrue.
Message 27 of 31
LuvsRetro
Frequent Contributor

Hi landocalrissian: 

OMG - I sure hope you did not agree to anything with West Asset - They are a JDB - Junk Debt Buyer - Cease communications with them.  My son had a similar situation and after researching, found out they are a JDB.  That is the reason you are having so much trouble with them.  That money will never be seen by the DOE. 

They threatened with garnishment, with loss of first born, etc, etc.  Everyday they called and hassled him.  He put a block on his phone to stop them. 

So please stop dealing with West - they never go by the rules. 

Your best bet is the DOE.  Read up on West Management, they are scum like AFNI, they buy OLD, very OLD debts for pennies on the dollar and will threaten you to death to pay even after SOL.
10/01/2017 myFico EQ-778 TU-793 EX-781
11/01/2017 myFico EX-799, Barclays 11-4 Reported: EQ-796 TU-826 EX-799
Message 28 of 31
MsKmm00
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear about your son's experience with West Asset, however my experience was good. I was able to negotiate down from the amount they wanted per month, the rep set up two pmts a month for me vs one pmt, and once my rehab was complete the account was turned over to the DOE and the delinquency removed from my report.

I realize they may be asking for more than you WANT to give, but if you can afford the amount it is well worth it. See if they are willing to take $1000 and deduct from two pays.

FYI ... they can garnish your 403b so please try and negotiate with them. Once the account is in their hands, the DOE can not do anything. You must be out of default before they will handle your account. Once out of default you can then apply for deferment.

Message Edited by MsKmm00 on 01-17-2008 07:36 PM
Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I recieved a message from my Credit monitoring service today and it seems like my old med school did a hard pull on Experian to check my report.  I owe them money as well and I am pretty sure this was prompted by a call from WestAsset.  I really feel stuck in this situation.  These people have to realize that they can't get blood from a turnip (i am not one).  I want to rehab these loans but I cant afford what it takes to rehab them and they dont understand this.
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.