Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80 point difference btw FICO and credit score with the big three

tag
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: 80 point difference btw FICO and credit score with the big three

If you go and look at your scores again, somewhere on the page you should see something like 'educational score,' usually in fine print. The CRAs themselves do not sell Fico scores, only 'educational' scores. If it is a true Fico score, you will see the registered mark next to it.

Diamondmap, you said you checked your scores . . . Did you also order and check your reports? Closed accounts in good standing can remain on your report for up to 10 years. Negative closed accounts 7-7 1/2 yrs. after date of first delinquency (DOFD.) Having closed accounts remain can actually be a good thing for your credit history. Please read as much as you can here, and if something doesn't look right to you, there are lots of folks here to help.
Message 11 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@diamondmap wrote:

Thanks folks. I will just focus on getting my FICO up then.

Is there a way I can  correct the fact that I don't have 28 accounts, since half of those have been closed?

Do your  reports accurately reflect a) the accounts you have/had and b) which are open and which are closed? If so, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

The closed accounts contribute to your AAoA, which is good.

If you want to tell what open cards you have, how old they are and what kind of limits and balances they have, people here could advise you on strategies for closing, using, consolidating, etc. But no problem if you're not comfortable giving that information.

Message 12 of 18
diamondmap

Thanks Gunnar419. Not all cards have balances. Only 5 or 6. Plus personal loan. The info on the bureaus is ik correct I think but can't justify the big difference. Thanks for confirming lenders don't use scores from the bureaus.

Message 13 of 18
diamondmap

Good to know that, Starry1. I did not know that. Always thought lenders do look at scores from the bureaus as well. 

Message 14 of 18
diamondmap

This community rocks. Thanks all for your feedback. So, I had a chance to review my 3 reports as advised and I am showing the following issues which I hope someone can advise whether I need to take any actions against:

1- One of my card shows 10K in credit which I can't use since card and has been closed by creditor during the financial crisis for no fault on my part. I have a balance of 3K on that and I have been making minimum payment since that's one of my oldest accounts. Card does not show on Transunion at all, only Equifax and Experian. It shows credit as open. I don't recall disputing anything there but it shows: ACCT INFO DISPUTED MEETS FCRA.

2- I have two cards with same bank that I have consolidated into one account. They are still showing as 2 separate account.  Do I need to bother to ask creditor to report one as closed?

3- I have a store card that shows open. But because of the low credit line they gave me, I never used it so they closed it. Do I need to ask them to report it closed since that adds to multiple open accounts?

4- I am showing one account in 10K in credit, closed by creditor during financial crisis. The 3 bureaus show the following comment:

ACCOUNT PAID ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR

CANCELLED BY CREDIT GRANTOR

PAID CURRENT ACCOUNT ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CONSUMER LAST PAID: 06/2008

- The one I account I have that had the 30-day late payment, does not show anything from Equifax anymore. Transunion did not have anything before. Experian shows:

OPEN DISPUTE RESOLVED CURRENT ACCOUNT/WAS 30 DAYS PAST DUE DATE LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 12/2011=R LAST PAID: 02/2012

Thanks again everyone.

Message 15 of 18
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

double post. sorry.

Message 16 of 18
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

I've been trying for 2 months to figure out where people get the idea that creditors only use the FICO score. The only thing I have found is a FICO article stating that. I haven't seen any independent studies saying that and the FAKO score companies say creditors use THIER score. So who do you believe????

It seems like people on this forum seem to just restate the mantra over and over again without actually knowing if its true. Or maybe there has been an indepent study and I just haven't seen it? I dunno. 

@starry1 wrote:
How will creditors see them if they don't use those scores? I'm telling you those scores are manufactured for no other reason than to charm money out of consumer pockets.

Message 17 of 18
starry1
Valued Contributor

Its purely anecdotal evidence.  People here apply for a lot of stuff, the creditors usually give you a pretty good idea of what scoring model they are using.  But whatever, if you want to believe that fakos are real, then you're more than welcome to.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.