Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

800 LOAN MART and personal loan experience :(

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: 800 LOAN MART and personal loan experience :(

Good advice from Revelate: a place like Loan Mart should be an absolute last resort, but if you have to do it, make sure you'll be able to pay it off quickly, so that you don't feel so much of the sting of that ridiculous interest rate. Borrowing more than you need than paying back a huge chunk at the start to get ahead of the amortization curve is an interesting idea; just make sure you'll still be able to pay off the rest well ahead of schedule.

With a FICO in the 660s and low utilization, I'm surprised you cant' get approved for any half-decent CCs or personal loans. You should try to recon any denials you've already run into. You shouldn't have to resort to such a terrible loan.
Message 41 of 61
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

That would be an amazing idea but I dont thibk you can use credit to purchase gift cards

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 42 of 61
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@dddfresh wrote:
That would be an amazing idea but I dont thibk you can use credit to purchase gift cards

I do it often.

(I purchase walmart gift cards with my walmart CC, or online with my Paypal CC)

I don't imagine that Lowe's will care how you pay for your purchase.

I think you've found your answer.  Smiley Happy

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 43 of 61
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

**bleep** I called and you're right!!!!

NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 44 of 61
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I know I've done it as well.

to the OP... please do not sign that loan.  you've gotten some good advise here.  After this passes and you are getting paychecks again, we'll talk about gardening for a higher score and maybe a universal (ie: amex, visa, mc etc) credit card.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 45 of 61
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 46 of 61
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

Very scary and sad they abuse people

Message 49 of 61
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@dddfresh wrote:

I do it often.

(I purchase walmart gift cards with my walmart CC, or online with my Paypal CC)

I don't imagine that Lowe's will care how you pay for your purchase.

I think you've found your answer.  Smiley Happy

Yes, this is a major use (pre-cap) of Amex BCP, use it to buy gift cards in grocery stores and get 6% back

Message 53 of 61
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

People with Western Sky should jump off a cliff.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 54 of 61
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

I wish I was wise enough to have visited this board back in '08 when I relocated to Maryland from VA around X-Mas time and the company didn't offer relocation when in all actuality they should have. Pay Day loans, title loans, advances from check cashing places etc, are horrible and will ruin your financial life...Or at least, you'll feel that way for a long long time. The only way those things work is if you have the ability to pay it back in full on or before the first due date. If not, you'll more than likely have to keep taking loans to keep up.

I will never forget the financial pit of fire my tail was in because I was trying to find a quick solution to make ends meet without doing real homework. The gift card thing is a great idea, and if it works, it works. Also, if I had a $1600 major credit card limit, I'd charge on that before I took anyone's pay day loan and pay the minimum payment on that if the bill was due until a full check came in and I could start paying it down.

Please continue to visit this site. Learn as much as you can. I swear reading the stories here, following people and their journey's and learning from my own personal mistakes has made me a smarter consumer, and I will do my absolute best to never go back to where I was prior to finding this site. You will too if you stay close. Play your cards right, and you'll have better credit, better cards, and better options and there won't be many days that you'll walk into someone's bank or CU and ask for a loan and they turn you away. Soak up all the knowledge.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 55 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.