Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 accounts in my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 accounts in my credit report

Hi, I need your advice understanding and managing my credits.

My FICO® score: 620
Oldest account was opened 3 Years
Accounts carrying a balance: 9 accounts

I never missed payment, i usually pay all balances at the end of each month, my mistake that i learnt fron my friend was to use the credit card a lot instead of debit card and then pay it all each month. But learning my FICO credit report, i was utilizing 70% of my balance which affect it negatively.

Here is my 9 accounts:

Installment loans: $42,561 (Auto Financing)

Company: Ally Open Date: 10/2012 Balance: $21,483
Company: Fmcc Open Date: 10/2012 Balance: $21,078

Revolving: $16,483

Bk Of America Reward Open Date: 08/2009 Credit Limit: $3,000 Reward
Paypal Extra MasterCard Open Date: 03/2010 Credit Limit: $5,500 Reward
Cap One Platinum MasterCard Open Date: 05/2010 Credit Limit: $1,500 No Reward
Chase Freedom Open Date: 12/2011 Credit Limit: $4,000 Reward
Citi Forward Open Date: 01/2012 Credit Limit: $6,500 No Reward
Amex Gold Charge Card Open Date: 08/2012 Open Account Reward

BestBuy Credit Card: Open Date: 09/2012 Credit Limit: $2,500

It become too much to keep up with all the cards, using them all to ratio of 70% which caused my Fico score to drop for 760 to 620 in a year.

Do you suggest for me to close any account? especially the Capital One as there is no reward and the limit is small.

Should I close the Amex charge card and change it to Amex blue credit card?

Any advice how to manage this cards?

For the 2 auto loan installment, what's the best to handle it? I have money to pay 50% of the 2 loans but some people told me it is better to only pay the monthly installment in 2 years to help in credit report. (the 2 loans are 0 interest for 3 years)

Thanks guys for your help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: 9 accounts in my credit report

I'm a big fan of paying down loans asap.  If you have the money why not?  

As far as closing cards, I'd close anything that has an AF (if any) and store cards.  You could close the ones you don't use that don't offer any rewards or you could just SD for a while to let them age so more.

Message 2 of 9
brother7
Established Contributor

If it doesn't cost anything to keep a card (ie no annual fee), don't close the account. Instead, sock drawer it and let it age. You may need to use it for a small purchase once every 6 months or so, just to keep it active so that the issuer won't close it automatically.

The best way to manage revolving credit cards is to let them all report zero balance, except for one. For that one card, before the statement date, pay down the balance to 1-2%. Then after the statement date and before the due date, pay the remaining statement balance. The reasoning is that the statement balance is what gets reported to the CRA so it will look like you are at 1-2% utilization, which maximizes your score. IMO, I would use one of the rewards cards as my primary card.

If your financial situation doesn't allow you to do this, then use the same strategy with either 2 or 3 cards.

If you can't achieve 1-2% utilization, try for <10%. And if that's not possible, try to keep utilization <30%.

Hope that helps. 

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys.

Wouldn't it look bad to creditor if i have 7 credit card instead of 5 or 4 cards with higher limit and reward?

Do you suggest to just go ahead and deposit $5000 payment on each auti loan to drop the balance?

Message 4 of 9
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you guys.

Wouldn't it look bad to creditor if i have 7 credit card instead of 5 or 4 cards with higher limit and reward?

Do you suggest to just go ahead and deposit $5000 payment on each auti loan to drop the balance?

Idk,  there can be a thing called too much avaliable credit and too much recent credit to some lender.  But every lender is different.

There are many ppl on here who have 20-30 cards.  I think that is way too many.  I think 2-3 is plenty.

If you are having trobule managing your cards then yes its best to close the ones you don't use/won't use.

If you like the idea of gaining some more age in your cards before you finaly do close them, then SD is option for you.

Message 5 of 9
brother7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Take a look at the infographic mentioned in http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Blog/What-s-the-Profile-of-High-Credit-Scorers/ba-p/1663246

One trait of high FICO scorers is that they have 7 credit card accounts.

I had 4, apped for 4 more and noticed an increase in my score. Additionally, for the cards you keep, try to get high CLs which will decrease your overall utilization.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If you usually pay your cards in full by the due date, you might as well pay them  by the statement date and get the benefit of a low reported balance. If you take a ten mile walk with someone, it's an option staying next to him rather than two steps behind, as your speed is the same anyway.

If you have a really old card and it has an annual fee, it can be less expensive in the bigger picture to keep it open, in the form of lower interest rates on future loans. On the other hand of course, American consumers are allergic to high upfront prices. We live in a culture of financing.

This topic is highly entertaining. People have advice in all directions about how many cards are best. I personally don't care. You can have a high score with just one card or with forty cards. I have four individual cards, one joint and three AU. Haven't changed a thing for two years. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

If you usually pay your cards in full by the due date, you might as well pay them  by the statement date and get the benefit of a low reported balance. If you take a ten mile walk with someone, it's an option staying next to him rather than two steps behind, as your speed is the same anyway.

If you have a really old card and it has an annual fee, it can be less expensive in the bigger picture to keep it open, in the form of lower interest rates on future loans. On the other hand of course, American consumers are allergic to high upfront prices. We live in a culture of financing.

This topic is highly entertaining. People have advice in all directions about how many cards are best. I personally don't care. You can have a high score with just one card or with forty cards. I have four individual cards, one joint and three AU. Haven't changed a thing for two years. Smiley Very Happy

+1 Your friend almost had it right. What he meant to tell you was to pay off  your balances before the statement reports to the credit bureaus. Look at the statement from each of your credit cards, in the summary they will list the statement date along with your balance, APR, etc.. If you were carrying a score over 700 before you started all this craziness, then I would avoid keeping balances on your credit cards at all if you don't have to. Unless your planning on buying a new home or something, continue to pay your auto loans and keep that extra money in an interest earning account for emergencies..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If the CCs have an annual fee and you don't use the card for rewards to make up for it.  Close it.  If it doesn't have an AF then just sock drawer it.  Keep your util below 9% on your revolving.   If you have the money for the loans. pay one of them off, then make payments on the other.   Just what I would do, YMMV of course.  Good luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.