cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90-100 point hit for one derogatory mark?!

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: 90-100 point hit for one derogatory mark?!

@Anonymous wrote:

Did that one collection have such a big impact because I only have the one credit card and nothing else reporting?

Other accounts don't really matter.  Derogs tend to have a major impact and hold one's scores down.  That's why we always recommend addressing them first.  That's also why each needs to do whatever it takes to avoid them.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just find it crazy that it could have that much of an effect, and wondered why. 

Why do you think it's crazy?  Think of it from a lender's perspective.  Let's say you have two friends asking to borrow money.  One has a spotless track record of repaying you.  The other does not.  Based on that alone who are you more likely to lend to?  It shouldn't be surprising why derogs are a major red flag to creditors.

It takes a LOT to end up with a collection.

@Anonymous wrote:

On the other hand I was still a little mad that a single collection for $54 could ding my score that much.

The amount does not matter.  A collection is a collection.  Whether it's $54, $540, $5,400, etc you can't let your accounts slide to the point of being late, on collection, charged off, etc.  You must have a 100% on time Payment History.  If you haven't already read this then start here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 90-100 point hit for one derogatory mark?!

I guess I just (wrongly) assumed the amount of the collection would be weighted into it. And of course in my mind I am biased and I felt it was unfair because of the circumstances (university always had my current address, phone, and email but I never received notice, then it gets sent to collections and I never receive notice) but I also understand that the credit agencies can't know any of those circumstances.

Many of you have been studying this stuff for a long time understand and have come to terms with how it all works. From someone who has never paid attention I think of it like "Those credit agencies can see I pay a $1000+ CC bill on time every month for 4 years, they should know that a $54 collection must be a fluke or a mistake!" I know it is not rational but it's what popped into my head as soon as I found out.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.