Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Bit of Thanks; Another Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Bit of Thanks; Another Question

Morning Credit Gurus,

I first would like to start with a sincere thank you. I had come to you all previously (on an acct I can't for the life of me remember) asking for advice about raising what was then my abysmal credit. In following the wonderful advice I was given here, I was able to raise it to about 675 in a year. At that point I again asked you all for advice and the response was to get a big boy credit card, the most recommended of which was the Discover It card.

So, I did. I was approved with a 6500 dollar credit line. That was about 6 months ago. Now my combined average score is 720, and while my fiscal responsibility was all mine, I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice in helping me get here.

Now the question, I feel it is time to have one more card. While I've never really run into acceptance issues with the discover card, they DO exist and I would also just like to have one more open line. With 720 credit and very low usage what direction would you guys go? I thought of Chase Freedom, but that's essentially the same card as the IT. Since I already have a cash back card, should I look into one with different benefits?

You lot have never steered me wrong before, so what say you?

Thanks, have a great weekend. =}
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Bit of Thanks; Another Question

Anything in particular rewards wise you are looking for? General purpose? Yes/No to an annual fee? Do you shop online or thru any portals? And what pops up when you run the prequals for Citi/BOA/Chase/Amex/Cap1?

My Citi Double Cash is my normal daily use card for the obvious 2% back on ANYTHING I charge. My freedom is basically sock drawered this quarter for overlap with Discover, but sometimes the quarters are different. I use my Synch Ebates Visa frequently, because I have been using ebates forever and its second nature to take a look at the portal first if I am buying something online. Basically I would take a look at your spend, and what you prequal for. If you have a high spend in some category apply for a card that fits that. (restaurants maybe the AARP card, groceries maybe AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (annual fee, but if your spend is there prob worth it) Citi DC or Cap1 QS if you are just looking for a general spend type card).

If there is a category, here's a link to themanwhocans insanely detailed charts about what works best for what...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Themanwhocan-Charts/m-p/3986754/highlight/true#M1118631...

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks.

Honestly, I rarely use my card for much. I'm so very credit conscious now and so thrilled to be up in the 700's that I fear doing anything to jeopardize that. I put a few big expenditures in there and then paid them nearly all off immediately leaving just a couple hundred bucks to report since discover is 0% apr for the year. But daily expenses, gas, groceries, etc. I just use my debit card for because part of me is still fearful of having a CC balance. I am definitely not getting the full benefits of the card yet. I even flew from Miami to NYC 3 times last month and put it all on my debit so as not to spike my CC useage. Tons of wasted cashback potential, I know.

I do use the 5% CB the iT card has been offering on Amazon though. I have about 150 bucks of recurring orders for paper products and household stuff from Amazon prime monthly.

I have to get more comfortable using the CC for daily things, that's for certain. As for what I need, well, I inow another line will help my score a bit more, and I'd also like another year of 0%APR. I'm not really looking to pay an annual fee. I have yet to see a card with an annual fee that the rewards, in my opinion, outweigh paying for the privilege to spend money. =}

I will go explore that link now. Thanks so much for the reply.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

One other thing...

You may want to pick up 2 or even 3 cards all at once. You will obviously take a bit of a score hit for the HPs and new accounts, but if you get a couple/few all together the HPs and accounts age together. And as an added benefit (I was much like you didn't want to spike my util for a while) you can select payment dates of your own. My 3 main use cards close on the 8th 18th and 28th of each month.That allows me to use a card and pay it off and any point in the month and not have to worry about a card posting a balance if I dont want it too. Getting up to at least 3 accounts is also beneficial. All of the major issuers allow you to change your payment date (and thus the statement closing date) easily online.

Message 4 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
With 720 credit and very low usage what direction would you guys go? 

What we woud do doesn't matter and the info you've provided really doesn't help us to narrow down the options.  Selecting a card is always about finding what best fits an individual's needs/wants and you'll need to give us a lot more information in order to give you meaningful recommendations.  Remember that it's never just about score but if you want, you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database.  Usage isn't a useful criterion.

@Anonymous wrote:
But daily expenses, gas, groceries, etc. I just use my debit card for because part of me is still fearful of having a CC balance. I am definitely not getting the full benefits of the card yet. 

You don't need to be afraid.  If you have high revolving utilization one cycle it's generally no big deal.  You just don't want to have high revolving utilization for a prologned period of time.  You can always pay prior to report date to reduce the report balance and utilization.

If you want to maximize rewards you really need to run all possible spend through your cards.  You also need to select cards that maximize rewards on your spend.  Start with your major spend categories to see if you have them covered.  If you're willing to share your major spend categories and the volumes you run through them we can use that to help you with recommendations.  Also tell us how much of your spend is non-category so we can determine if a 1.5/2% cash back card may be of benefit for your non-category spend.

@Anonymous wrote:
 I have yet to see a card with an annual fee that the rewards, in my opinion, outweigh paying for the privilege to spend money. =}

Make sure you're actually running the numbers for your spend and considering total cost/benefit.  Don't just look at the AF.  My biggest rewards come from cards with AF's.  Granted, YMMV.  For one thing, I'm focused on accruing UR points so the Freedom is another source for 5x UR points on spend.  However, Discover has its benefits including things like 10% on Apple Pay and Double Cash Back that I find useful.

In short, determine your priorities and needs/wants and use that to select cards.  If rewards are a primary driver then run spend through your cards and find cards that maximize rewards on your spend.

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought of Chase Freedom, but that's essentially the same card as the IT.

They're both quarterly rotators with 5% on category spend so they're similar but not identical.  The calendars can change from year to year but take a look and see if there's too much overlap or enough difference for you.  I find both to be useful but YMMV.

That said, you may want to find non-rotators for your biggest spend categories so you can maximize rewards on that category year round versus just one quarter of the year with a $1,500 cap.

@Anonymous wrote:
and I'd also like another year of 0%APR.

If you're carrying balances you'll definitely want to get in the habit of paying every statement balance in full.  Make sure you're working on your budget and sticking to it or long term progress will be impossible.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again. I hadn't even thought of that. Staggering payment dates is an excellent idea, and this is why I come here for advice. =}

I had never checked Citi preapproval before, I just did and they offered me the full list essentially. The double cash card (as you mentioned you use) sounds real good. 15 months of 0% and double cash? That's pretty serious. However, discover is also going to double any cashback I get in the 1st year, so I should probably keep using that for cashback until that happens.

In my head, I'm very anti-capital one. I don't think I have any sort of legitimate reason for this bias, but I just don't like something about them. Maybe it's the Vikings. =}

Chase also offers me a slew of them: slate, freedom, sapphire preferred.

BoA: Cash rewards, travel rewards, and a couple different Bank Americards.

AmEx: platinum, gold, everyday and Blue. But I really can't justify those annual fees. That seems crazy to me. Lol.

This stuff was so much easier when no one wanted to offer me credit. Paralysis by too many options now. Lol

Message 6 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase also offers me a slew of them: slate, freedom, sapphire preferred.

BoA: Cash rewards, travel rewards, and a couple different Bank Americards.

AmEx: platinum, gold, everyday and Blue. But I really can't justify those annual fees. That seems crazy to me. Lol.

This stuff was so much easier when no one wanted to offer me credit. Paralysis by too many options now. Lol

Not surprising since you're going about it backwards.  Don't select a creditor and then try to justify a card.  Sort out your needs/wants and use that as selection criteria for specific product that suit you.  Going about selecting anything (not just credit cards) using your process will be overwhelming.

Again, consider total cost/benefit and run numbers for your spend.  Do not solely focus on AF but certainly consider it in total cost/benefit.

Message 7 of 10
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, thanks.

Honestly, I rarely use my card for much. I'm so very credit conscious now and so thrilled to be up in the 700's that I fear doing anything to jeopardize that. I put a few big expenditures in there and then paid them nearly all off immediately leaving just a couple hundred bucks to report since discover is 0% apr for the year. But daily expenses, gas, groceries, etc. I just use my debit card for because part of me is still fearful of having a CC balance. I am definitely not getting the full benefits of the card yet. I even flew from Miami to NYC 3 times last month and put it all on my debit so as not to spike my CC useage. Tons of wasted cashback potential, I know.

I do use the 5% CB the iT card has been offering on Amazon though. I have about 150 bucks of recurring orders for paper products and household stuff from Amazon prime monthly.

I have to get more comfortable using the CC for daily things, that's for certain. As for what I need, well, I inow another line will help my score a bit more, and I'd also like another year of 0%APR. I'm not really looking to pay an annual fee. I have yet to see a card with an annual fee that the rewards, in my opinion, outweigh paying for the privilege to spend money. =}

I will go explore that link now. Thanks so much for the reply.

To be honest, you don't have to get more comfortable with daily expenditures on a card.  You have to do what is comfortable for you, not for others on a forum who don't pay your bills.  Do what is right for you.  Most people use debit cards for daily stuff, just the people here tend to maximize bonus / cashback.  This may not be the right thing to do.

For example, to me, putting gas on a credit card is silly.  I get a lower price by putting it on my debit card.  I save more that way then by getting the cash back.  I buy groceries on my debit card.  It helps me keep a budget.  

Now, I run my own business, so I have no problem spending lots on my cards, but I do try to just pay for my daily personal stuff.  It makes me feel better.  I'm not going to change.... I quit trying to.

I suggest getting another 0% APR card for the next year.  You might as well have something that will benefit you if you do need to make a larger purchase and need to pay it off over a few months.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for take by the time for the very informative reply. The wealth of knowledge here and the willingness to share it is fantastic.

I'm only carrying a balance on the discover card currently because I CAN. With 0% apr, I was able to make a couple large purchases pay off 80% of them immediately and then just amortize the payments for the rest interest free. I don't NEED the balance, but why pay 400 today when I can pay 100 a month over 4 months with no interest. It's like giving myself a loan. That's the reason I was interested in another 0% apr card. I have a couple large purchases coming up and was considering doing the same thing. Pay them off to keep my utilization under 10% or so and then just pay off the rest over the term. Is this not a good idea? I feel like it keeps more of my money in my pocket longer at no extra cost.
Message 9 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for take by the time for the very informative reply. The wealth of knowledge here and the willingness to share it is fantastic.

I'm only carrying a balance on the discover card currently because I CAN. With 0% apr, I was able to make a couple large purchases pay off 80% of them immediately and then just amortize the payments for the rest interest free. I don't NEED the balance, but why pay 400 today when I can pay 100 a month over 4 months with no interest. It's like giving myself a loan. That's the reason I was interested in another 0% apr card. I have a couple large purchases coming up and was considering doing the same thing. Pay them off to keep my utilization under 10% or so and then just pay off the rest over the term. Is this not a good idea? I feel like it keeps more of my money in my pocket longer at no extra cost.

Sure, go for another card with a 0% APR promo. I would narrow the field to omething that has a fairly high CL so you can buy something of consequence while keeping initial UT under 50%. Other than my AMEX charge card, all my cards are no annual fee. I used no AF as a screening criteria - but that's just me.

If you travel a lot or have business expenses where you might cycle substantial sums of money through the card, then card perks tend to overshadow the no AF benefit.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.