Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Couple Of Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Couple Of Questions

Hello everyone, this is my first post, been "lurking" for a few weeks trying to soak everything up. I still haven't pulled my scores (kind of scared to do it, actually). And I've still got a few questions regarding collections, credit cards and score pulls.

1. I've got an 800 dollar debt in collections from 7/2004. I have made one payment for $25 to the collection agency, and that was several years ago. Should I pay it, and if I do, will it hurt me anymore than not paying it? Also, if I do decide to pay it, should I pay the CHP (who originally billed me) or do I pay the credit agency?

2a. Credit Cards. I've currently got 3 cards (2 of which recently got small CLIsSmiley Very Happy ) Total credit available is $3800, and have got $1250 between two of them (1 is paid off completely) would applying for a new card(s) help me out? I keep getting an offer for a 0% intro GM rewards card, I keep shredding it and they keep sending it. I guess they cant take "no" for an answer.

2b. Is paying credit card debt weekly doing me any harm? I get paid weekly and am doing my best to get caught up, but I have heard this method is not as good as opposed to paying once monthly. I am paying over the monthly payment

3. I'm still kind of confused about soft and hard score pulls. I'm planning on buying one of myfico's products, and I'm kind of hesitant to do that, because I'm kind of obsessive and worried if I pull my score too much, it'll ding me

If anyone would take the time to help me out I would definitely appreciate it. I hope to learn a hell of a lot more in the next coming weeks/months/years and one day be able to get into the high 700s
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Couple Of Questions

Hello everyone, this is my first post, been "lurking" for a few weeks trying to soak everything up. I still haven't pulled my scores (kind of scared to do it, actually). And I've still got a few questions regarding collections, credit cards and score pulls.

1. I've got an 800 dollar debt in collections from 7/2004. I have made one payment for $25 to the collection agency, and that was several years ago. Should I pay it, and if I do, will it hurt me anymore than not paying it? Also, if I do decide to pay it, should I pay the CHP (who originally billed me) or do I pay the credit agency?

2a. Credit Cards. I've currently got 3 cards (2 of which recently got small CLIs ) Total credit available is $3800, and have got $1250 between two of them (1 is paid off completely) would applying for a new card(s) help me out? I keep getting an offer for a 0% intro GM rewards card, I keep shredding it and they keep sending it. I guess they cant take "no" for an answer.

2b. Is paying credit card debt weekly doing me any harm? I get paid weekly and am doing my best to get caught up, but I have heard this method is not as good as opposed to paying once monthly. I am paying over the monthly payment

3. I'm still kind of confused about soft and hard score pulls. I'm planning on buying one of myfico's products, and I'm kind of hesitant to do that, because I'm kind of obsessive and worried if I pull my score too much, it'll ding me

If anyone would take the time to help me out I would definitely appreciate it. I hope to learn a hell of a lot more in the next coming weeks/months/years and one day be able to get into the high 700s

Welcome Tucker43......In regards to your collection, , you can ignore it and just wait for it to fall off your report because if you do pay on it again the CA will report it as a new debt and you dont want that because it will make your score drop more then what it is already. You can call CHP and ask if they still owe the debt, if so then you can pay them, if not then just let it go til it falls off unless you plan on buying a home soon then you would have too.

Nothing is wrong with applying for a new car but how long ago did you get your last card? You dont want the CCC pulling your CR and seeing that you just recently applied for a card and got it because they may see you as a risk and then you still have yet to pull your own scores which I would suggest you do asap, that way if your low then you can set yourself a goal to reach and also you would know what you can and cannot qualify for.

Nothing is wrong with paying your credit card debt weekly. CCC's like to see more then the minimum balance paid and it looks good overall if you have a lot of debt compared to a lil. I mean you could save some money and still pay twice a month like I do or continue doing what you do now. Overall, you always want to keep 1-9% util on your cards just so they know you can maintain.

A soft pull is a pre-approval that you receive in the mail, its a basic criteria that people meet, therefore an offer is sent out, as long as nothing has changed on your CR then you may be approved. A hard pull is when you apply for a CC outright, car loan, installment loan, etc. You cant get dinged for pulling your own report or scores.

Hope that helped you out a bit, if you have any other questions, just ask

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks DTG, regarding the collection, If I pay it, I'll PIF, in that case would it be possible to ask for a PFD, and if I did that, I'd have to contact the CA directly, correct?
As for the credit cards, it's been over a year easily, possibly even two. I guess I really need to pull my credit reports/scores, LOL
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem, just passin the knowledge as it has been passed to me. I would say get your scores as soon as you read this message, that way you know where you stand, could be alot higher or lower, either way at least your not in the dark anymore..........You could PIF but first ask them if you do so with they PFD, if not, then come with a settlement or dont pay it all. Like I said, if your not buying a home anytime soon then who cares, let it fall off in 2011.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum tucker. Here you will find a wealth of information to help you get your credit healthy, and stay healthy. Many knowledgeable people here.

1.) As far as your collection goes, I would suggest PFD only for now. If you PIF, you take away a strong negotiating tool. And the only way you can get the collection removed is by GW letter. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

I had a collection on my CR removed by bypassing the CA completely, and negotiating with the OC only. But in my case, the original creditor still owned the account. The CA was just working for the OC. I don't know your particular case.

2a.) What are your credit scores? From what you said, you are running 33% utilization. That's still pretty high. Keep paying down those cc bills to below 20%...10% is even better. maximum benefit is 1%-9% utilization.

3.) Pulling credit reports and scores on yourself, has no impact whatsoever on your credit reoprt. It's not seen by others, only you. Always a good idea to see where you stand BEFORE you start applying for credit.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so I've pulled my scores and reports. The scores are now in the sig line of my posts. Regarding the collection that I want to PFD, it is only showing up on the TU report, and the status is listed as "Not Reported" What exactly does that mean?

Also, there is a collection that was settled for less than the original amount. However on EQ it's status is "120+ days late" with all the other reports saying it was settled for less. Is this something thats dinging me more on EQ than it needs to?

Message Edited by Tucker43 on 11-03-2007 06:23 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.