Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Little Encouragement for You

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Little Encouragement for You

I don't post much, but I certainly do read a lot from this forum.  I wanted to give back a little information in the hope that it may encourage others to take an active role in checking and repairing their credit files.

On August 28th, I was running one of my free yearly credit reports (Experian) when I found 4 derogatory and 6 totally incorrect entries on my report.  Some of these were the type of errors where you couldn't fix them online but had to talk with a rep (incorrect name, social security #, not my account...type of things).  At that time, I also ran my score for Ex and saw that my near 800 score had dropped to 678...my jaw almost hit my desk.  She set up a file for an investigation.

I received the results on 9/22/08 and checked my score...it was up to 801 for EXPERIAN.  I know this is crazy as now my EX  score is higher than EQ and TU!!!!!  Usually for me EQ is the highest, but now it's the lowest.  EQ is hitting me hard because I just financed a new car.

So I just wanted to put it out there to folks that if you take the time to check your reports and try to get the derogatories off your report that are not yours, it can help your score tremendously.  I'm glad I did.  Now, to get EQ back to the 800+ mark.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Little Encouragement for You

Excellent work Leggy! I am glad your situation had a happy ending. Vigilance and persistence are the two most important things in credit.

Awesome scores by the way.
Message 2 of 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

It pays to check your files occassionally. Semi-annually, or quarterly.

Stuff happens.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

cobra19 wrote:
It pays to check your files occassionally. Semi-annually, or quarterly.

Or 3-4 times a week like some of us addicts. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Shnapple on 09-25-2008 07:48 AM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I check mine all of the time!  It has become an addiction!
Message 5 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Nice work Leggy!

dlspal1310 wrote:
... It has become an addiction!

that's the scary part... better a tool than an addiction- which gets to be expensive!  i'd rather be addicted to paying down outstanding balances to zero than purchasing scores, so i try to fight the urge to do so more than a few times a year, YMMV. 

Message Edited by score_building on 09-25-2008 09:57 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.