cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Year and half clean credit and now something from 2002? WTH? HELP please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Year and half clean credit and now something from 2002? WTH? HELP please.

I went through cleaning up my credit of every KNOWN item, purchased a new house, got a few new credit cards and a have been paying EVERYTHING on time. My scores were increasing and today I get an alert that I have an item in collections.

Harvard Collections, never heard of them. I searched for the number and called. They said that I have an outstanding Sprint bill from 2002. I know that I paid these people off when they merged to MCI I think. Now I have no proof and no records of owing these people. This is going to mess (want to use another word) credit up. My score dropped. I have disputed, but what do I do now?

I am near tears. What can I do.

Please help me. TIA
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Year and half clean credit and now something from 2002? WTH? HELP please.

start with the 1-2 puch, then go from there. also might want to check if the sol has expired.

2 things;
1. stay off the phone w/the ca
2. maybe contact the oc and see if they have records of you brining the account in good standing
Message 2 of 36
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

First:  DON"T PANIC.

It seems that you have your house, good credit cards and a good recent history.  You COULD be in a much worse situation.  Others will chime in with advice
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

ddivaqt wrote:
I went through cleaning up my credit of every KNOWN item, purchased a new house, got a few new credit cards and a have been paying EVERYTHING on time. My scores were increasing and today I get an alert that I have an item in collections.

Harvard Collections, never heard of them. I searched for the number and called. They said that I have an outstanding Sprint bill from 2002. I know that I paid these people off when they merged to MCI I think. Now I have no proof and no records of owing these people. This is going to mess (want to use another word) credit up. My score dropped. I have disputed, but what do I do now?

I am near tears. What can I do.

Please help me. TIA

I reallyhate to hear this.  Do you think you can backtrack.  Is MCI still around?   Have you tried calling Sprint?  I realyl wish I had some more constructive advice. Get on the MOV track.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. You all know how hard it is to get on a right track. I cried a many night this past summer thinking that I would not be able to get a home, or establish new credit, but I was blessed to do so. One of my favorite things that I took from someone here was: On-time, every time.

Thanks for your responses. I hope to have good news.
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send a DV. Someone just posted about a DV working with the same collection agency. Plus, any time new debt comes up, you should always request DV. You have everything you wanted, so no need to cry about it. Dv them and take it from there.
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Send a DV. Someone just posted about a DV working with the same collection agency. Plus, any time new debt comes up, you should always request DV. You have everything you wanted, so no need to cry about it. Dv them and take it from there.

Even with new AMEX cards? They are three months old. One is PIF and the other has a balance that I PIF prior to close date. I know they don't like debt and I don't want a universal default. A FR I can handle, all income is verified and actually more than I stated on applications, I just want my 700 score. LOL I was on my way and now this thing took 30 points. Anyway, I will fill out the DV, look for old records and try to relax. No more tears over this. Merry Christmas to all. Thank you
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is a cookie that crumbles a little differently.  You may want to try and head this off by calling the great ones.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-24-2007 01:23 PM
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is a cookie that crumbles a little differently. You may want to try and head this off by calling the great ones.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-24-2007 01:23 PM

When I disputed they gave me an option to send the information to recent credit pulls, and of course AMEX had already pulled. Is this sufficient or should I call the 800 number and explain that it is something from 2002, or should I just wait?
Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections and such may lead to immediate action.  Where was your pull from?  I would definitely call Amex.  I have seen cases like new collections (new to them) resulting in immediate closure.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.