Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A high credit score

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

A high credit score

Even if you never purchase a house with a mortgage laon you can still get a score above 750. Credit cards impact the score the most. Have no more than three credit cards and when you have had them opened for 10 years or more then that is definately in your favor. never be late even once. If you feel you need more credit ask your credit card company to increase your line of credit instead of seeeking new credit. If you need to apply for new credit then apply for one new account once very 13 months. the credit bureau's computer system keeps track of what you did within the last 12 motnhs (year). If you have an extenuating circumstance that would cause you to be late on a payment then communicate with your credit before the due date so they can defer the payment and not reprot you as being late. And very important always be honest with your creditors because they are always willing to help those good customers.

Bob
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: A high credit score

@CreditBob wrote:
Even if you never purchase a house with a mortgage laon you can still get a score above 750. Credit cards impact the score the most. Have no more than three credit cards and when you have had them opened for 10 years or more then that is definately in your favor. never be late even once. If you feel you need more credit ask your credit card company to increase your line of credit instead of seeeking new credit. If you need to apply for new credit then apply for one new account once very 13 months. the credit bureau's computer system keeps track of what you did within the last 12 motnhs (year). If you have an extenuating circumstance that would cause you to be late on a payment then communicate with your credit before the due date so they can defer the payment and not reprot you as being late. And very important always be honest with your creditors because they are always willing to help those good customers.
Bob

Hey Bob do credit cards that don't report credit limit count?
Message 2 of 4
CreditBob
Established Contributor

The credit cards that do not report the line of credit can be a problem. I have talked to two of the credit bureaus about this and here is what they have suggested. On a $ 1,000 line of credit just about max out the card and then pay it back down. The high balance used and shown will be just about what the line of credit is. The scoring system should go off the high blance used and compare it to your balance that is owed. Saty away from capital One Credit crads, Citi Bank Credit Cards, and unless you are running a business, stay away from American Express with the no preset spending limit. There are other American Express (AMEX) cards that will report a line of credit.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update.  You are correct about Capital One cards not reporting their credit limit; (they have been a thorn in my side for almost 7 yrs).  However, (allegedly), I was told by a Cap 1 representative back in March that she received a memo stating that sometime in October of 2007, Cap 1 will be reporting their credit limits, due to so many complaints.  (A few of them being mine)!!!  And as a reminder, you have to tell people that their credit scores will take a hit when they max out or come close to maxing out their credit cards for the sake of having their credit limits accurately reported.  Your score will slide down fast from the max and crawl up slow from the pay off, so you have to decide if it's worth it, especially if its during a time when you're applying for a loan of some sort.  I started to do the same thing (maxing out my card) for accuracy purposes, but realized it was more damaging than helpful.  You also have to keep in mind, you can receive a credit limit increase once a year (on average).  Therefore, maxing out your credit card once a year just to report the proper credit limit wouldn't be fruitful.  I would go with your latter statement, if possible, just stay away from companies or credit cards that don't report your credit limit.  I work with people whom are trying to improve their credit, so this is just a professional opinion. 
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.