cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new collection has been added to your credit report????

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

A new collection has been added to your credit report????

I received a Myfico alert this morning that a new collection has been added to my account???

This is for a verizon account that has been on my report since May this year.  

Does anyone know why I am recieving this alert?  Do you receive these alerts every time they update the account?  And if they do why do they say "a new account"?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A new collection has been added to your credit report????

Did you have the collection in dispute?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they show it as a new collection alert even though it is just an update of an old collection. Mine has done that before. The collection had been on the report for a long time, and I think the CA was just trying to scare me into paying before it fell off. Didnt work lol. There was no score change or anything. It just updated to show not paid for that month, which is kind of pointless if you ask me. An open collection means it hasnt been paid. Why update it to not paid again? Makes no sense other than a scare tactic.
Message 3 of 5
glamchick
Established Contributor

Yes it was disputed about a month ago.

It now says "Account closed at consumer's request". And falls under my accounts not under collections.   My points went up 20 points.   But it's still has a balance and its says I'm late.  Is this worse that it being under collections?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 4 of 5
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

Yes it was disputed about a month ago.

It now says "Account closed at consumer's request". And falls under my accounts not under collections.   My points went up 20 points.   But it's still has a balance and its says I'm late.  Is this worse that it being under collections?

I believe the scoring model takes into account that something is actually an 'in collections' type of tradeline, whether it is listed in the collections section or not.

If it is really an account 'in collections' but not in the 'collections' section of your report, then I'm guessing it is either being reported by the OC, or by a JDB who now owns it?  If it is the OC, you probably have a very good chance of getting it taken care of before they turn it over to a collection agency, at which time you will have it reported in both sections.

With regards to the notification you received, it's most likely because the dispute has finished and the account 'updated' as a result of the investigation, would be my guess.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.