Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A "unknown" call from debt collection agency

tag
saaws
New Contributor

A "unknown" call from debt collection agency

I got a voicemail from an "unknown" number saying a debt collection agency is looking to collect some debt. But I have no debt that went deliquent/over to collection.

should I call them back to find out what it's about? or would that make it only worse?

EQ 734 (2010/09) 680 (2011/08) 700 (2012/04) 701 (2013/01) | EX 737 (2011/09 AMEX) | TU 755 (2010/09) 721 (2011/09)
Amex Platinum NPSL / Blue Cash Preferred $10K | BofA Visa $9K | Discover More $8.5K | Cap1 Best Buy MC $7K | Chase Ink Bold $12.5K / Sapphire Preferred $5.5K / MileagePlus Select Visa $5K / Freedom $2K | Dell Store $3K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
kittygal
New Contributor

Re: A "unknown" call from debt collection agency

I can't begin to tell you how many calls like that I have received over the years!  Usually for some unknown person, or someone who had my address or phone number previously and the junk debt collectors can only go on the information they have available.  it gets worse when they sell it to another collector and don't remove the prior phone numbers etc. -- it can be a nuisance and hard to stop the calls.

If they left a number, it is best to contact them and inform them that they have made an error. Most collection agents are receptive and will remove your number from their system.  Occasionally, you might get in touch with someone who will insist that you are the person they are looking for and you better pay your bills, etc.

But once they make contact, they are required to send you a "dunning notice" about the debt, the original creditor and the total amount owed within 5 days.  So if you do not receive any formal letter informing you of the alleged debt, all you need to do is let them know (in writing) that you are not the debtor in question and they need to cease and desist from making any further calls to you.  With luck, that will end the problem.  If not, there is always the avenue of contacting the state Attorney General and filing a complaint regarding the unlawful collection activities you have been exposed to with their frequent calls, etc.

Unfortunately, these old debts get tossed around a lot and you just need to be aware of your own financial situation.  If you have no knowledge of any debts, you are probably not the person they are looking for.  Doesn't mean they won't keep trying!!

Good luck ---

Starting Score: 696
Current Score: TU 731 7/30/10 EQ 789 8/23/10
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: A "unknown" call from debt collection agency

I occasionally hear from collectors looking for a deadbeat with a name similar to mine who lives about 30 miles away.  Usually when I tell them I have never resided at any of the addresses they have for this guy and can prove I have lived in my current town since 1992 they go away.  Once I spoke with the local police where this guy lives; they couldn't tell me any details but I gather they have had numerous interactions with this felllow.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.