Reply
Valued Member
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎04-21-2013
0

AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

I just came to realize that my AAoA is much longer then I thought it was; CreditKarma shows my AAoA at 1yr4mo which is a little short, but I just realized that they aren't counting in the 5 closed student loans that I paid off which also happen to be my oldest tradelines, my AAoA counting in these 5 closed accounts is actually 3yr0mo which is a lot better then CK is telling me.

 

This is a great realization for me but it also got me thinking, why is CK excluding these tradeline that I know are on my credit reports at each credit bureau, I know that my AAoA should be calculated with all the tradelines on my credit report regardless of whether they are closed or open, but is CK calculating my AAoA this way because certain lenders only look at open accounts for this calculation? Or is this just CK's quirky way of doing things that has nothing to do with how lenders look at my CR?

Discover IT 23K | AMEX BCE 20K | PayPal Extras MC 10K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature 5K | Chase Amazon 4K

EX FICO: 751 myFICO 4/14, 754 Amex 5/13
EQ FICO: 788 DCU 3/15, 754 myFICO 7/13
TU FICO: 794 Discover 3/15, 784 myFICO 1/15
Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,406
Registered: ‎01-17-2008
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

CK only factors in open accounts for AAoA unlike FICO who factors all OC accounts, opened, closed, good, or bad.

 

And no, lenders to not use CK.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 4,575
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

[ Edited ]

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

 

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.

New Contributor
Posts: 69
Registered: ‎01-24-2009
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts


takeshi74 wrote:

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

 

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.


I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

 

 

Scores Credit Karma TU=697 Vantage 727 | WalMart TU=709 | CreditSesame Exp=739 | Exp. FICO = 739 Barclays TU=706 Discover IT = 702

Discover IT $14,900 | BJ's Perks MC $5500 | TD Bank Visa Signature $5000 | Capitol One QuickSilver One $1600 | Capitol One Platinum Prestige $3000 | Merrick $4000 | Walmart $50000 | PayPal CS $1400 | Fingerhut $1800 | OCCU Duck $5000 | SG Visa $2000
Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,406
Registered: ‎01-17-2008
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts


PCMedic wrote:

takeshi74 wrote:

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

 

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.


I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

 

 


If you have the free CK they only update every 6 months.

Super Contributor
Posts: 8,183
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts


guiness56 wrote:

PCMedic wrote:

takeshi74 wrote:

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

 

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.


I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

 

 


If you have the free CK they only update every 6 months.


My CK updates every 7 days (if I remember to log on).  And it is pretty up to date on my balances.  And it is free.

 

I find it useful to use to check my status with TU, although TU is frequently the slowest to update in general for me

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,406
Registered: ‎01-17-2008
0

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts


MidnightVoice wrote:

guiness56 wrote:

PCMedic wrote:

takeshi74 wrote:

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

 

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.


I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

 

 


If you have the free CK they only update every 6 months.


My CK updates every 7 days (if I remember to log on).  And it is pretty up to date on my balances.  And it is free.

 

I find it useful to use to check my status with TU, although TU is frequently the slowest to update in general for me


My bad.  I meant Quizzle.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.