Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA and AmEx

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA and AmEx

Good evening to you all.

Over the past months I've browsed these forums anonymously and, in an attempt to begin building solid and excellent credit history, learned much.

One of the things I learned is that adding yourself as an authorized user gives you the benefit of inheriting the card owner's history.

So. I did just that. Encouraged/convinced my mother to add me as an authorized user to her AmEx card because it was the oldest (9 years) and cleanest (no lates and no balance) of her cards. The card was sent, but since I did not plan on using it after activation, I didn't pay attention to the "member since" date.

One month later, the card shows up on my credit history. However, it showed up as a 1 month old account instead of the 9 years I was expecting.

Puzzled, my mother contacted AmEx (through their online message center) and inquired about the situation. She was informed and authorized users no longer have that benefit and there is no to backdate my membership. They also do not offer a method of converting an authorized user to a joint account holder.

On the positive side, my availabe credit increased and thereby my utilization. (I should mention that prior to this, the only card I had was a Capital One secured mastercard that was 2 months old).

So here's my question. Other than waiting for the accounts to actually age, are there other methods of increasing my AAoA? Are there particular companies that report authorized users with the same history and membership date as the oringial account holder? If so, what are they?
I believe it is possible to have an old membership date, but still have a recent account open date on the credit report.

So. As far as my report goes, how can being an authorized user increase my AAoA?

I hope the answers to these questions are from people with recent experience concerning such matters because policies are constantly changing.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAoA and AmEx

Amex can be a bit weird sometimes and others have reported the same. AFAIK, most other CCs report the org. open date for the owner as the AU. My only experience was DW's Citi. That reported the org. open date when her father had added her way back in the day.

Message 2 of 12
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Based on multiple recent reports, AmEx is apparently no longer backdating AU accounts to the join date of the card owner.

However, there have still been reports coming in of people getting successfully backdated to their own AU join date if the account on which they are authorized is still open.

So my recommendation would be to make sure Mom does not close that account, and apply for an AmEx card of your own as soon as you think your credit report will qualify you, and ask for it to be backdated to your 2012 Member Since date. Ideally in January if you can....that will get you a new account that reports as opened in 1/2012.

Granted, it's not as much of an AAoA boost as you were hoping for, but even a free year of account age can really help!  And from then on, *any* new AmEx card you open is going to backdate to 2012, so as time passes it will become more and more of a benefit.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 12
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Good evening. I had an Amex card for over 25 years, closed it when things got rough so as not to hurt my relationship. Re_opened it two years later, new application, etc. They would not back date my member since date or re open my old account number. Additionally, the old history remained with the old account number on my cc reports. The new history follows the new card with recent payment history, not twenty five years plus. What it does help with is your AAOA as it is my oldest open account showing date opened over twenty five years ago.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

Based on multiple recent reports, AmEx is apparently no longer backdating AU accounts to the join date of the card owner.

However, there have still been reports coming in of people getting successfully backdated to their own AU join date if the account on which they are authorized is still open.

That's a most interesting distinction! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well.

I appreciate the responses so far, but.

none have answered any of the questions I asked. Smiley Surprised

I'll repeat them again with one small addition.

Other than waiting for the accounts to actually age, are there other methods of increasing my AAoA? Are there particular companies that report authorized users with the same history and membership date as the oringial account holder? If so, what are they?

As far as my report goes, how can being an authorized user increase my AAoA if the member join date is no longer inherited from the primary account holder?

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 12
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I described to you quite clearly how getting your own AmEx in January will give you more AAoA than merely waiting for the accounts you have to age.  Smiley Frustrated

And once you have that AmEx, it will always represent a way to backdate new AmEx accounts, thereby significantly boosting your AAoA in the long haul.

But I can tell you're really looking for quick fixes not long-haul solutions, however I'm not sure there are any.  I've been an AU on my mother's Discover for many years, but that reflects the date I became an authorized user, not the date she got the card.  As far as I know, that is the industry standard and you're unlikely to find another company that does it differently.  AmEx used to be the odd one who did, but now they don't.

Perhaps someone else knows of a company that does, but here's the problem: you kind of shot yourself in the foot with your thread title.  "AAoA and AmEx" doesn't really describe your true question and encourage people who know NON-AmEx methods of boosting AAoA to drop into the thread.  Perhaps "Any non-AmEx ways to increase AAoA instantly?" would have worked better for you.

What also isn't going to work for you is getting impatient about credit issues. Patience and discipline are the key to good credit in the long run, so while there's no harm in seeking ways to increase your creditworthiness quickly there can be harm in making a habit of depending emotionally and mentally on those fast results.

Finally, welcome to the forums.  We're actually a pretty friendly place if you give us a chance. Just bear in mind we're volunteer Samaritans, not paid professionals. Gratitude is our only reward, so when your second post is one to complain about how you didn't get any good responses to your first post, that's going to come off as a bit ungrateful.

Those who have answered the thread so far offered what they are able to offer. They may simply have not told you about golden-unicorn companies where authorized users are magically backdated to before their own birthdate because those companies simply don't exist.  Or maybe they do....change the thread title as I suggested, and wait patiently for others wiser and more experienced than me to find it and chime in.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow.

Thanks for the tirade.

And thanks for the answer.

First, I apologize if the tone in my second post came off as ungrateful. That was not the intention.

I clearly stated that I appreciated all the responses. I was able to learn that AmEx "will always represent a way to backdate new AmEx accounts" as long as that first account is open.  

I only repeated the questions in order to properly direct attention to the questions I posed.

Yes, you are right that  you "described to [me] quite clearly how getting [my] own AmEx in January will give [me] more AAoA than merely waiting for the accounts [I] have to age". I thank you for that valuable information and plan to implement your idea when January comes. By then I should have a credit age old enough to have a score and qualify for one card or another.

Once again, thank you.

Second, I want to state that that I am NOT looking for quick fixes. I understand that building credit takes time. I was simply asking if there was a way to shorten that time (by increasing AAoA). If there is none, I am perfectly fine with it. You are absolutely right by saying "Patience and discipline are the key to good credit in the long run, so while there's no harm in seeking ways to increase your creditworthiness quickly there can be harm in making a habit of depending emotionally and mentally on those fast results."

I do not depend on fast results. Emotionally, mentally, or otherwise.

Finally, I am going to once again thank you for your response.
I do greatly appreciate the time you are taking for voluntarily answer these questions.
You all provide valuable information. (They may not necessarily directly answer some questions but the information is always valuable).

I will wait some more for any answers and if none come up, I will either change the thread title like you suggested or start a new one with the thread title you suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than waiting for the accounts to actually age, are there other methods of increasing my AAoA? Are there particular companies that report authorized users with the same history and membership date as the oringial account holder? If so, what are they?

As far as my report goes, how can being an authorized user increase my AAoA if the member join date is no longer inherited from the primary account holder?

As mentioned other CCCs will backdate an AU, just not always Amex.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As mentioned other CCCs will backdate an AU, just not always Amex.

meaning that there are other CCCs that will backdate an AU to the primary account holder's membership date? and thereby "inherit" the primary account holder's history?

Or does this mean they will backdate to the AU's membership date?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.