Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABC 20/20 Story on Debt Collectors

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ABC 20/20 Story on Debt Collectors

Last night, ABC's 20/20 re-aired their January 2007 story about debt collectors.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/BrianRoss/story?id=2808750&page=1

Yours truly put up a couple of posts. They did edit my original post, but they seem to have left enough of it intact that someone could find their way here if they wanted to and did a little googling.

Here's my original post.

I love 20/20, truly. But unfortunately some of the advice offered for dealing with abusive debt collectors is pedestrian at best, potentially harmful to the consumer, and doesn't really begin to touch on the rights and power consumers they have to deal with abusive debt collectors. These tips come from the FTC, so I'm not blaming 20/20.

The FTC and state Attorneys General offices are the consumer's friend, but they likely aren't going to be able to help the vast majority of consumers facing abusive debt collectors.

Fair Isaac, or FICO, is the company that owns the scoring algorithm used by the Big Three credit bureaus to score one's credit, and they recently added discussion forums.

Among other things, you can find out how to use the law to deal with abusive debt collectors. I would encourage anyone who wants to know more about credit, debt, their credit score, or the rights and power you have against abusive debt collectors, head over to MyFico forums.

I'm not a FICO employee, but I am one of the more vocal and "colorful" contributors on MyFico forums.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ABC 20/20 Story on Debt Collectors

True, their advice wasn't the greatest. When I had a debt collector threaten to put my daughter in jail and to take my furniture (it was a car debt), one must question the entire debt collection industry. My attorney advised there was nothing I could do (save hang up the phone when they threatened) unless they actually attempted to enter my home unauthorized.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

GettingBetter wrote:
When I had a debt collector threaten to put my daughter in jail and to take my furniture (it was a car debt), one must question the entire debt collection industry. My attorney advised there was nothing I could do (save hang up the phone when they threatened) unless they actually attempted to enter my home unauthorized.

Will due respect, you need a better lawyer. The law is a potent weapon you can wield to your advantage. Watch for a rant from me about abusive debt collectors and how to fight back using the law. Coming soon.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

you would be amazed, or maybe not, how many lawyers are wholly incompetent.  every day of the week, i see individuals who would have fared much, much better on their own than with the $hitbird lawyer that they hired.  now, now, i am not saying dont hire a lawyer, but i am saying that you need to be very careful who you hire.....ask around, ask the lawyer for references, but DO NOT part with your hard-earned money to just any jackleg who has a shingle hanging on main street.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that some lawyers just don't have the reasoning power and logic sense to be a good lawyer. One time I went to a doctor who was not, IMHO, qualified to practice medicine (at least as a general practitioner). He was not stupid. In fact, he had already forgotten more about the human body than I would ever know. He was among the sharper crayons in the human "box."

The problem was that he did not have the knack for troubleshooting a situation and applying his enviable knowledge base to actually solving a problem. He would probably make a good to excellent teacher, or a consultant, but as a practicing physician...well, let's just say my first visit to his office was my last.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Noah, read every word it was GREAT. I do hope people read it & find their way here.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

tnwm, very, very good point.

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
The problem is that some lawyers just don't have the reasoning power and logic sense to be a good lawyer. One time I went to a doctor who was not, IMHO, qualified to practice medicine (at least as a general practitioner). He was not stupid. In fact, he had already forgotten more about the human body than I would ever know. He was among the sharper crayons in the human "box."

The problem was that he did not have the knack for troubleshooting a situation and applying his enviable knowledge base to actually solving a problem. He would probably make a good to excellent teacher, or a consultant, but as a practicing physician...well, let's just say my first visit to his office was my last.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.