Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI collection....not mine should I ignore, or DV

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFNI collection....not mine should I ignore, or DV

Received a collection letter from AFNI collections in Bloomington, IL. about a Verizon California account for $315.31.

I live in Texas, and never had this phone number.  I checked TC reports and does not reflect collection, YET! 

Does anyone have experience with AFNI? I have this gut feeling that if i write them and ask them to DV, it might misteriously show up on my CR.  Or should I let a sleeping dog lie, and dont do anything, and wait?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AFNI collection....not mine should I ignore, or DV

you know that it isn't yours. I would ignore BUT watch CR. If it appears go after them like a pittbull
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it cause a problem is you called Verizon and let them know you never had an account with them and that you dispute the validity of this collection and ask for proof?  If they can't prove, don't they have to remove?  Also, what if in waiting to see if it pops up on CR, it does and your score drops?  It will take a while for your score to recover while you are fighting it out with AFNI.  I don't like them.  I have a valid collection account with them but they won't respond to a PFD and it has been over two months.  I don't want to make payments as it will adversely affect my scores, I believe and I don't need that. 
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats true Hearts, good idea to call Verizon.  but its hard enough to deal with cell phone companies when you DO have an account with them, can you imagine all the time it would take to reach the right person, and actually get something done?   but I think I would try. 

the damage it could cause if it reports on my CR could be a nasty hit that could have been avioded...... and fixing it could take a lot longer....
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEVER ignore a collection attempt.  Jsut because it is not on your bureau deoesn't mean it wont be.  Usually they do not report until 30 days after notification.  If it is not yours, get it straightened out before it bites you.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

hummmm....thanks Brammy for the advice. im afraid if i contact collector they will for sure report to CRA...but they will probably do that anyway...i guess i will try Verizon and AFNI and try to straighten it out.. should i call or write or both?

Message Edited by mymy on 09-08-2007 08:30 PM
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

mymy wrote:
hummmm....thanks Brammy for the advice. im afraid if i contact collector they will for sure report to CRA...but they will probably do that anyway...i guess i will try Verizon and AFNI and try to straighten it out.. should i call or write or both?

Message Edited by mymy on 09-08-2007 08:30 PM

If the account truly is not yours, I would contact Verizin initially by phone.  GW letters are for people who actually owe money.  I would calmly ask for a supervisor and explain that you have received a collection notice from their company but have never had service with them. 

Request a fax number if you have fax capability and address it to the person you were speking with.  Adv same and let them know that until you have proof of said debt, if the item shows on your CR, your next step would be to file a formal complaint.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a collection account with ANFI, it was when i had my cingular cell phone and let me tell ya they will bug the crap out of you, i tried to dispute and no luck, but they only reported to TU so i am happy about that, but this account is so old im not even messing with it, its suppose to fall off in 2009, i would like to pay and get rid of it so i wont have to live with it for another year, i havent tried any PFD or GW letters yet.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You only have 30 days to DV a collection once you receive notice from a CA. Ignoring the dunning letter is not a good idea as you forfeit too many of your rights by doing so.

Send the DV request. Contact the OC and get any documentation you can from them. Then if it shows up on any CRA and they haven't responded to your DV, you can sue. I would also report them to your state AG, the AG from the state they reside in, file a BBB and FTC complaint. Again ONLY if you DV and they end up placing it on your report. This worked for me with Palisades.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks BAM,

does anyone have a good DV lettter to use in this situation?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.