Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALLIANT membership & Credit Bureau profile info

tag
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

ALLIANT membership & Credit Bureau profile info

So I'm in the middle of signing up for Alliant membership (this post is the go-to-guide ) and could not get past the Personal Information section ..why..? Their system did not recognize my address!!

While I am planning to move and have another address which I an use I am concerned with the CB's that have my current address - how would

it effect Alliant's ChexSystem inquiry  & SP properly identifying me? Also, I just made a donation to their charitable entity affiliate (which grants one Alliant eligibility), using my current address.

Would I need to immediately call up each CB prior to Alliant enrollment and update my address to the new one to keep everything crispy and aligned?

[Note: I know that I will be at this new address for less than 1 year - why bother clutter up my profile with more addresses that I will have to recall in the future for security purposes, when a more permanent address will be coming up prior to my gardening period end]

Is it better to call Alliant / try to get human assistance / make them accept the address?

Other thoughts / ideas?

Amex Plat | Amex EDP $24,000 | Citi BestBuy Visa $11,000 | Chase Freedom $7500 | Discover IT $7500 | Amex BCE $5,000 | Merrick Bank Visa $2000 | Alliant SSL
Starting Score: Fico 8: EQ 721 TU 742 EX 736
Current Score: Fico 8: EQ 746 TU 764 EX 756
Goal Score: Fico 8: EQ 750+ TU 760 EX 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ALLIANT membership & Credit Bureau profile info

Hey Gratitude!  Folks here will be most likely to help you out if they understand your exact situation a bit better.  You write:

While I am planning to move and have another address which I an use I am concerned with the CB's that have my current address....

So it sounds like there are four different possible addresses that could be involved:

The actual address of where you currently live.

The address that you use (which may be different from the actual address)

The address of where you will be moving to

The address that the credit bureaus have for you

We'll be able to understand better what may have happened if you tell us which of these four addresses you used in the Alliant app.  And also, have you pulled your Equifax report and confirmed that this address does or does not appear on the report?

Same questions about the address you used for the charitable entity affiliate.  If I understand you right, that was the actual address of where you currently live.

Can you help us understand better the difference between the address that you use and the address of where you currently live?  Are they different?  If so, why are they different?

Finally, can you tell us what exactly the error message was when you applied?

Message 2 of 10
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Gratitude!  Folks here will be most likely to help you out if they understand your exact situation a bit better.  You write:

While I am planning to move and have another address which I an use I am concerned with the CB's that have my current address....

So it sounds like there are four different possible addresses that could be involved:

The actual address of where you currently live.

The address that you use (which may be different from the actual address)

The address of where you will be moving to

The address that the credit bureaus have for you

We'll be able to understand better what may have happened if you tell us which of these four addresses you used in the Alliant app.  And also, have you pulled your Equifax report and confirmed that this address does or does not appear on the report?

Same questions about the address you used for the charitable entity affiliate.  If I understand you right, that was the actual address of where you currently live.

Can you help us understand better the difference between the address that you use and the address of where you currently live?  Are they different?  If so, why are they different?

Finally, can you tell us what exactly the error message was when you applied?

the address where I have been living is the address that's on all of my accounts & CB's and it is the address that I used for the charity..  after the problem with Alliant's system, I thought of using this new address which has not been used at all for anything (haven't used it yet).

Amex Plat | Amex EDP $24,000 | Citi BestBuy Visa $11,000 | Chase Freedom $7500 | Discover IT $7500 | Amex BCE $5,000 | Merrick Bank Visa $2000 | Alliant SSL

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah.... ok.  So there is a single address that is the actual place where you currently live.  You used that address for both the charity and for the application for Alliant membership.  You got an error message, however, indicating that Alliant did not recognize that address.  Is that all correct?

If so, I would pull your EQ report and double check exactly how this address appears on it.  Then (armed with a copy of that report) give Alliant's customer service team a call.

PS.  It's possible that this address does not appear on your ChexSystem's report.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to the USPS and UPS Address Validation tools and type your address in:

See what they output and try those addresses out.

When I used to sell online, about 0.5% of addresses would get rejected AFTER they submitted an order so I had to use these tools to validate and make corrections.

My winter home in Florida has this issue constantly.  If I type in 666 35TH Street it gets rejected, but if I type in 666 35 ST (no "TH") it accepts it.

Message 5 of 10
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to the USPS and UPS Address Validation tools and type your address in:

See what they output and try those addresses out.

When I used to sell online, about 0.5% of addresses would get rejected AFTER they submitted an order so I had to use these tools to validate and make corrections.

My winter home in Florida has this issue constantly.  If I type in 666 35TH Street it gets rejected, but if I type in 666 35 ST (no "TH") it accepts it.

Both tools above - my address does not come up. 
Going to try the EQ route see what it spits out.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gratitude wrote:

Both tools above - my address does not come up. 
Going to try the EQ route see what it spits out.

Well you must be receiving mail, right?  Grab some junk mail and see how it's addressed there and try THAT variety.

Message 7 of 10
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If so, I would pull your EQ report and double check exactly how this address appears on it.  Then (armed with a copy of that report) give Alliant's customer service team a call.

PS.  It's possible that this address does not appear on your ChexSystem's report.

Well I looked at my FICO Score 3B Report  – 12/07/2017
under Personal info for all 3 bureaus':

• my name
  • DOB
  • last 4 of SSN (weird, except for Experian)
  • my current address (earliest reported  07/01/2016)

Would a screen shot of this + a photo of 2 pieces of mail arm me sufficiently to make that call?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows?  Give them a call and ask.  If I were you I would also try Credit Karma (look at the Equifax report).  It's always good to have two different credit report tools that confirm the same thing.

As I mentioned earlier, the problem might be that your ChexSystems report doesn't have this address on it.

Message 9 of 10
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

Update:
After a few calls to Alliant today (all were very pleasant & I did explain that my address pops up everywhere in my accounts/CB's, etc), the course that I ended up following was to fax in a hard copy of their application for membership. If any problem arises I was told they'd email back and ask for proof of address (e.g. utility bill; lease agreement). 

So far, I've gotten the app & ID submitted.. awaiting what they say next.

IF YOUR ADDRESS IS ALSO WONKY -

and  YOU'VE ALREADY READ FIRST FEW POSTS HERE THAT DETAILS ON THE PROCESS - then

ALLIANT MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION  INSTRUCTIONS: 

• Go to  Allaint's site >
  • in upper right hand of their website is a search bar >
  • enter "Membership Enrollment Agreement" >
  • form comes up first in the search >
  • fill it out > 
  • attach copy of valid government ID >
  • fax to this Alliant Membership Application Fax No*. 1-773-462-2124 >
  • wait for email response.

*I had to point out to Alliant that their fax number is no longer on their new application  (it was on the older version) the rep had to make an official note to address this error. 

Hope this helps.

I will update once I know what's up, which now looks like next week.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.