sl
Established Contributor

Re: AMERICAN EXPRESS Financial Review Article in SMART MONEY MAGAZINE

Thanks for sharing that with us. 
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing - unfortunate situations - but it makes me feel just a tad bit more relaxed that I am not the only one that has gone through a credit limit decrease.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

these people are damned crooks....i am glad i told amex to go peck sh*t with the chickens when they tried to f/r me. 

funny thing, they sent a letter telling me that it was "unfortunate" that i decided to close my accounts.  no, **ckwipes, it is unfortunate that you gave me three credit cards and tossed a f/r at me one month later when i hadnt even used the cards, paid off the annual fee immediately, and my credit scores are higher than they were when you approved me.  go to heII, amex.
Message 5 of 24
Platinum25
New Contributor

I'm curious to see if people on here would respond with how long they have had their AMEX accounts open before they were frozen for F/R.  I've had my acct since Oct 2005 and wouldn't expect this to happen to me, especially since they have been giving me generous CLI's lately, but that article has me thinking that they could do it to any cardmember at any time.  Thanks!
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
I'm curious to see if people on here would respond with how long they have had their AMEX accounts open before they were frozen for F/R.  I've had my acct since Oct 2005 and wouldn't expect this to happen to me, especially since they have been giving me generous CLI's lately, but that article has me thinking that they could do it to any cardmember at any time.  Thanks!

Not even a full month went by before my FR. Doesn't really matter....people that have had their accounts 15 years are getting the same behavior from amex.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This article isnt just about AMEX but about all credit card companies. 

"If past is prologue, credit-limit decreases — and American Express is not the only credit-card company doing this — is a reaction to what creditors perceive as increased risk of defaults"

If you read the article Mr Sak had 3 personnel cards (and 6 business) with AMEX, one of which was his Blue Cash with a limit of $21K.  It also says his average balance with all his cards was $15K.  So lets just say $21K for the blue and two others with $12K each limit.  Then it mentions how his credit score took a hit by 40 pts dropping it to 640. 

So he either had a higher score in the 700s that took a hit from inquiries, utilization, new lines of credit, or whatever that dropped it to the 680 or he had a lower score which he improved to achieve the 680.  I understand that the 680 has no way to see how much his HHI is and he could be making 6 figures but just had a bad past which lowered his score.  There are soooo many factors that could be put into play on his score.

Either way, i doubt he was approved for those high lines of credit right off the start.  So you can request a CLI once every 30 days with AMEX.  That is 1 time per all of your accounts per 30 days.  So, lets just say he had his accounts for a little while and through this time he asks for a CLI every month and is approved, everytime.

He keeps hitting the LUV button and the computer looks at his 680 and goes sure approved.  Then a "human" employee looks at this $45K CL and his 680 score and is like, ok maybe we should check on this. 

So, by this scenerio this F/R could have easily been done due to a lower score applying for too much credit, even if his HHI supports it.  All AMEX is doing is saying, DANG! you have a lot of credit, your score is good but to support this kind of credit we would like to see proof of your HHI.

"All accounts were temporarily frozen and AmEx requested documentation proving his income: pay stubs, bank statements or a completed IRS form 4056-T"

Yes, i know, they shouldnt have approved the CLI in the first place but how hard is it really to just send them a pay stub and have your account back on line in a week or two?   

Sorry i am long winded, but i am currently in Iraq and very bored at the moment so decided to try to take a different look at the situation, instead of just yelling at AMEX and their F/Rs.

And, i do have a AMEX Blue Cash with a $12K limit.  If they F/R me, i will be upset about it, but i have the documentation easily at hand and will get it to them and have my card back online quickly enough.  I can honestly say their customer service is so good, that i can put up with a 1 time F/R and have a lifetime of good service.

Ok, i need to get some work done, i am not going to proof read what i wrote hah, i will check back later! 

<3 to the forums! 
Message 8 of 24
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Robo wrote:
This article isnt just about AMEX but about all credit card companies. 

"If past is prologue, credit-limit decreases — and American Express is not the only credit-card company doing this — is a reaction to what creditors perceive as increased risk of defaults"

If you read the article Mr Sak had 3 personnel cards (and 6 business) with AMEX, one of which was his Blue Cash with a limit of $21K.  It also says his average balance with all his cards was $15K.  So lets just say $21K for the blue and two others with $12K each limit.  Then it mentions how his credit score took a hit by 40 pts dropping it to 640. 

So he either had a higher score in the 700s that took a hit from inquiries, utilization, new lines of credit, or whatever that dropped it to the 680 or he had a lower score which he improved to achieve the 680.  I understand that the 680 has no way to see how much his HHI is and he could be making 6 figures but just had a bad past which lowered his score.  There are soooo many factors that could be put into play on his score.

Either way, i doubt he was approved for those high lines of credit right off the start.  So you can request a CLI once every 30 days with AMEX.  That is 1 time per all of your accounts per 30 days.  So, lets just say he had his accounts for a little while and through this time he asks for a CLI every month and is approved, everytime.

He keeps hitting the LUV button and the computer looks at his 680 and goes sure approved.  Then a "human" employee looks at this $45K CL and his 680 score and is like, ok maybe we should check on this. 

So, by this scenerio this F/R could have easily been done due to a lower score applying for too much credit, even if his HHI supports it.  All AMEX is doing is saying, DANG! you have a lot of credit, your score is good but to support this kind of credit we would like to see proof of your HHI.

"All accounts were temporarily frozen and AmEx requested documentation proving his income: pay stubs, bank statements or a completed IRS form 4056-T"

Yes, i know, they shouldnt have approved the CLI in the first place but how hard is it really to just send them a pay stub and have your account back on line in a week or two?   

Sorry i am long winded, but i am currently in Iraq and very bored at the moment so decided to try to take a different look at the situation, instead of just yelling at AMEX and their F/Rs.

And, i do have a AMEX Blue Cash with a $12K limit.  If they F/R me, i will be upset about it, but i have the documentation easily at hand and will get it to them and have my card back online quickly enough.  I can honestly say their customer service is so good, that i can put up with a 1 time F/R and have a lifetime of good service.

Ok, i need to get some work done, i am not going to proof read what i wrote hah, i will check back later! 

<3 to the forums! 

Excellent post!
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

WoW!!!  Thanks alot.  Who knew they could do something like that?!!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.