Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CO

tag
davejess07

AMEX CO

hello all, 

I had a AMEX CO from years ago. Obvioulsy i still owe the money but it no longer appears on any of my credit reports. i applied last night for the new Everyday Card and was denied. I called and they explained to me that I was denied due to my previous CO. I have held a green card and then upgraded to the Platinum last year with an avereage balance of $1000 a month and have never missed a payment. 

any insight as to why i can hold a Platinum and not a different AMEX?

thanks.

Starting/Current Score: EX: 647 EQ: 606 TU: 551 Goal Score: 765

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
freak4tech
New Contributor

Re: AMEX CO

amex seems to be stingy with their revolving credit since youve burned them before you will have an extremely hard time getting back in. I have a gold card that i usually put 20-40k a month and i got denied for the everyday card but reconed and got approved for 1k ( weak ). i never burn though so you will have a hard time with amex especially since you never paid the debt. 

Amex Business Gold NPSL ( 85k internal limit ) - AMEX Everyday $4200 - Chase Freedom $5500 - Discovery it $1300 - BOA Secured $4900 - Cap1 Sparks $1250 - Cap1 Spark Business $1500

2/18/2015
Fico EQ 682 - EX 691 - TU 699
1 boa baddie from 10/08 dying to get this removed
Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Simple answer 

They trust you with a charge card because it's due every month and can be cut off the next if not paid 

A revolver could go several month creating a bigger lose if you were to default  leaving the potential for a higher dollar amount

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
asulaw
Established Member

Amex does not take kindly to lates and charge offs. Even though it isn't on your credit they have your history with themselves and will internally score you as well. A risk analyst will probably see your record and not want to budge just because of one charge off or late. I've heard that it can take up to 10 years before that internal score is change, but don't take me up on that one.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If unpaid, they took a loss. 

A pretty solid reason not to lend again.

Paying the debt may help......

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

They trust you with a charge card because it's due every month and can be cut off the next if not paid 

^ This.  Part of the reason why their charge cards are generally easier to qualify for than their revolvers.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.