Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

@pipeguy wrote:

IMO $550 a year (year after year) for a "Platinum" where you can't recover at least that amount in real benefits (so-called prestige is NOT a benefit) is a foolish move. If you are just in the mood for an AmEx there are no AF cards and "AmEx Network" logo'd cards that fit that picture. 

hm ok?

Message 21 of 30
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

IMO $550 a year (year after year) for a "Platinum" where you can't recover at least that amount in real benefits (so-called prestige is NOT a benefit) is a foolish move. If you are just in the mood for an AmEx there are no AF cards and "AmEx Network" logo'd cards that fit that picture. 

hm ok?

Annual Fee: $550

Annual Uber Credit: $200

Annual Airline Reimbursement: $200

Annual Effective Annual Fee: $150

Use the card and get MR points which you can transfer to travel partners for airline miles or hotel stays: Unlimited

The annual fee is not an issue for those of us who take advantage of the perks. They way I use the card, AMEX PAYS ME effectively to carry the card. I get MORE than $550 back annually in REAL rebates/awards/cash which pays for the card.

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

you're in luck friend, things freed up at work.. 

I don't know exactly where to start here..

I personally see benefits that would offset the cost of the AF for me .. otherwise why get it??

Now if YOU don't see the value in this card, then it doesnt mean "it's a foolish move" it just means you don't see the value of it .. kinda making you the foolish one.

I'll give you my break down so you can stop assuming it's a logo fetish of some sort ..

I'm 26 years old, my mother is Brazilian and my dad is German, so at the very least, I HAVE to travel internationally at least twice a year to see family and stuff and then I usually try to take a trip or 2 for myself as well.. oh AND I fly out of LGA a LOTTT

The amount I spent on airport food on these trips would honestly cover the $500 AF alone .. eaaasily, possibly even save me money.

I take Ubers here, in Brazil and Germany quite a bit, well over $600 a year .. also easily. that's another half of the AF right there.

Did I mention I fly often? I purchase my tickets.  The credit annually for tickets would also cover about half the AF.

Oh and 5X point on flights and Hotels when booked right could amount to over the AF.

I mention I fly frenquely, right?  TSA pre check for free ? sweet .. I think they're $100, so 1/5 of the AF rt.

..among other benefits ..those alone would save me a TON of money.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:

The annual fee is not an issue for those of us who take advantage of the perks. They way I use the card, AMEX PAYS ME effectively to carry the card. I get MORE than $550 back annually in REAL rebates/awards/cash which pays for the card.

haha just posted that ..

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

IDK why this post was taken down.. 

I don't know exactly where to start here..

I personally see benefits that would offset the cost of the AF for me .. otherwise why get it?

Now if YOU don't see the value in this card, then it doesn't mean "it's a foolish move" it just means you don't know how to use it .. and that's a foolish move.

I'll give you my break down so you can stop assuming it's a logo fetish of some sort ..

I'm 26 years old, my mother is Brazilian and my dad is German, so at the very least, I HAVE to travel internationally at least twice a year to see family and stuff and then I usually try to take a trip or 2 for myself as well.. oh AND I fly out of LGA a LOTTT

The amount I spent on airport food on these trips would honestly cover the $500 AF alone .. eaaasily, possibly even save me money.

I take Ubers here, in Brazil and Germany quite a bit, well over $600 a year .. also easily. that's another half of the AF right there.

Did I mention I fly often? I purchase my tickets.  The credit annually for tickets would also cover about half the AF.

Oh and 5X point on flights and Hotels when booked right could amount to over the AF.

I mention I fly frenquely, right?  TSA pre check for free ? sweet .. I think they're $100, so 1/5 of the AF rt.

..among other benefits ..those alone would save me a TON of money.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This all comes down to basic math. If you fly a lot to take care of the benefits the card offers, by all means get the card. If you want it just because you think it’s cool, that’s the dumbest thing on planet Earth. Not knowing if you are a jet setter type who travels I can’t say or not if it’s a good deal for you. So my advise is if you fly a lot and use the things they offer for the $455 fee, get it. If not then don’t get the card. Prestige reasons would be stupid. And anyone on here would agree with that. Good luck whatever you decide.

Message 26 of 30
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want it just because you think it’s cool, that’s the dumbest thing on planet Earth.

I strongly disagree. 550 bucks is a small price to pay to be cool.  Much cheaper than a corvette.

Message 27 of 30
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

What I said and stand by is if you don't see greater benefits meaning in excess of the annual fee then it's a foolish move.

As an aside I used to carry several amex platinum cards when I traveled a lot for my business. At that time you had to be invited to get a platinum and the annual fee was $300 might have been $350. At that time I ran several hundred thousand dollars a year through the cards and the benefits were worth it. Today amex offers the card to anyone with good credit aka 680 willing to pay the annual fee.

If you see the value great but if it's for ego I can think of better things to do with $550.

Edits: typos using my phone.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

No throwing away any money is stupid..... Just to be in the “in” crowd shows a lack of self worth to me.

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a struggle for me at first as I've never had an Amex card (and just got over a credit rebuilding process). I was forever eyeing the BCP card at the time. Then it happened I was approved for the card! A year later the PRG, then the SPG Luxury and now the Platinum. They only pulled hard credit once on my original BCP card and the rest was "pre-approved" from their website while I was logged in. So my gut tells me start with one of their cards BCE or any other flavor then go big thereafter Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.