cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM !

New Member

AMEX PLATINUM !

My goal growing up has always been to get a AMEX PLATINUM card..  I dont know why, but it has.

 

I have a faily memebr out west who has the AMEX Centurion card and AMEX PLAT. Years back he spent a day telling me about its benefits, and since young its never left my thoughts.

 

Can anyone tell me what are the certain qualifications to getting the AMEX Platinum? I dont like applying for card im not certain ill get it.

 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

I'm by no means an insider with knowledge of AmEx's underwriting standards but from what I have seen, scores of at least 680+, verifiable income, and an established relationship with AmEx. Plat is by no means a starter card for AmEx but I find that its underwriting standards is not much more stringent compared to their other cards like the BCP/BCE, Gold, etc. Once you have a card with them for a bit, they will basically throw the plat at you at some point as long as you maintain a good profile. 

 

As a semi-DP, I started out with AmEx 10 years ago with an Optima Plat (now ED), I recently got a BCE. Over the past few years I've gotten prequal mailers for the Plat, then the PRG, more recently the Delta Gold, and just a few days ago, the Plat again. I cold apped for thr BCE without a pre-qual 2 months ago, but AmEx has been trying to get me to sign up for an AF card forever now. 

 

If you are really curious and don't currently have an AmEx card, you can try their pre-qual website to check, but I'd say a more sure route is to app for something like BCE/BCP or ED/EDP (assuming you credit profile supports that) and app for plat in 6mo to a year. 

Message 2 of 29
New Member

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

Thanks for the response sir! i do not have any AMEX's yet. Should i go for their simplest card first ?

 

my scores are improving. I have a TU of 722 and a Exp of 666


SBR249 wrote:

I'm by no means an insider with knowledge of AmEx's underwriting standards but from what I have seen, scores of at least 680+, verifiable income, and an established relationship with AmEx. Plat is by no means a starter card for AmEx but I find that its underwriting standards is not much more stringent compared to their other cards like the BCP/BCE, Gold, etc. Once you have a card with them for a bit, they will basically throw the plat at you at some point as long as you maintain a good profile.

 


 

Message 3 of 29
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

Assuming you have decent credit and income, I'd say pick whatever interests you from AmEx's offers as long as it's not a "super premium" card. The rule of thumb I go for is uner $200 AF. I find that if underwriting standards for those cards tend to be interchangeable so whichever rewards program or sign up bonus interests you the most. 

 

One thing to remember is that AmEx sign up bonuses are only given once in a lifetime I think, so maybe do some googling and see how current offers stack up to historical offers. Try switching browsers and using incognito mode. When I was applying for the BCE, using safari in incognito mode got me a $200 bonus for $1000 spend in 3 months versus the $150 for the same spend I found on chrome or when logged in. 

Message 4 of 29
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

Go to Amex's prequalify site and see if you have any pre-approvals.  The qualifications for all the Charge cards are supposed to be the same so if you see an offer for the Green card or the PRG you should be good to go for the Platinum as well.   Also the Ameriprise version of the Platinum card has no fee the first year. 

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Hyatt, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.
Message 5 of 29
New Member

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

Oh mann THANK YOU SO MUCH !! i went on the pre qual site and BAM !!

"Good News, LUKEIRONWALL.

 You are successfully Pre-Qualified for the following Card offers, exclusively available on americanexpress.com."

 

amex Everyday Card

Blue Cash Everyday

Amex Green

 

What yall think ??

Message 6 of 29
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

Never snag a card just because you have an emotional attachment to having it.  Snag a card because it makes financial sense for your organic spending.

 

Amex Platinum is great for people who fly enough to earn the 5% rewards but there are MANY travel cards with lower annual fees that might work better for some, worse for others.

 

I just got Amex BCP (first card with Amex in maybe 15 years or more!) because the 6% supermarkets works for me to offset the $95 annual fee and then some versus a 3% grocery card or a 2% general spend card.

 

But you have to do the math.

Message 7 of 29
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

I personally support the "gotta catch them all" idea to collecting credit cards.  They say 5 cards is the minimum ideal for top scores (although you can get 850 with 3 cards I think).   So why not a visa a mc a discover and a amex to get things started?

 

Follow your dreams. Get an AMEX.

Message 8 of 29
New Member

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !

haha Amen! i'm not sure if youre being for real or just being sarcastic, but i like the attitude.


Kree wrote:

I personally support the "gotta catch them all" idea to collecting credit cards.  They say 5 cards is the minimum ideal for top scores (although you can get 850 with 3 cards I think).   So why not a visa a mc a discover and a amex to get things started?

 

Follow your dreams. Get an AMEX.


 

Message 9 of 29
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM !


LukeIronWall wrote:

haha Amen! i'm not sure if youre being for real or just being sarcastic, but i like the attitude.


Kree wrote:

I personally support the "gotta catch them all" idea to collecting credit cards.  They say 5 cards is the minimum ideal for top scores (although you can get 850 with 3 cards I think).   So why not a visa a mc a discover and a amex to get things started?

 

Follow your dreams. Get an AMEX.


 


100% for reals.  I spent years with 2 cards, before I got into this credit game. Can't believe what I left on the table.  Just opened up a Visa, and AMEX is on the table for 2018. Thinking of grabbing my 5th card at the same time, but really want an United Club card, but can't decide if I can actually afford it with the amount of traveling I do.

Message 10 of 29