Cory
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Starwood

Are these cards charge cards?
Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

why would amex give someone 1k cl on one card and then a 15k limit on the next unless something substantially changed on the credit reports/scores from the first application to the next? 

i can understand an individual qualifying for certain cards and not qualifying for others, even within the same company; but i thought credit limits were based more on your income and their determination of ability to pay....so, when an applicant says they make 85k a year, why would amex give him 1k limit on one card and 15k limit on the other? 

perhaps i am missing something here.
Message 24 of 29
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I am always willing to believe computer error   Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am feeling an error somewhere.  Smiley Wink
Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
why would amex give someone 1k cl on one card and then a 15k limit on the next unless something substantially changed on the credit reports/scores from the first application to the next?
i can understand an individual qualifying for certain cards and not qualifying for others, even within the same company; but i thought credit limits were based more on your income and their determination of ability to pay....so, when an applicant says they make 85k a year, why would amex give him 1k limit on one card and 15k limit on the other?
perhaps i am missing something here.

Computers don't make errors-people do.

As AMEX uses an internal scoring model- It is quite possible for an 1K unused limit to: 1. reduce someones UTL down
2. Show that person has never been late with AMEX
3. the new TL may not have shortened the credit length /avg age much

I am sure their are more possibilities and alot of other variables here.
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is a strange animal. Exact same scenario here. Denied for a CLI on my Delta, but they approved me for a $5K Hilton HHonors with no problem. I think 2 Amex's is enough, although I must admit it's awfully tempting. When I applied it was a toss up for either the Hilton or the Starwood. I'm not worried about the infamous FR. As long you have the W2's to back them up.
Message 28 of 29
critterj7
Valued Member

I do not understand them as well, I was denied for the Hilton card which is ashame As i spend at least 90 nights a year at hilton hotels. I have no clue on their scoring model and why they would give you one card but not on another. the payment checks all go to American Express no matter what card you have. Like I said i did not get a decision right away like I did on the delta card for the 1K. I got the check back in 24 hours and when I did I was approved for 15K.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.