Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX and mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX and mortgage

I am an authorized user on an American Express Gold card.  The balance is approx $6k.  With this card, balances are due in full each month however there is a revolving line of credit option available.  My credit report does not show a minimum payment for this account.  What percent of the balance do lenders add into debt to income ratios when qualifying a customer for a mortgage?

I would like to apply for my own card soon.  Although I am the AU on this account, I use this account solely.  Will AMEX consider my payment history on this card when considering me for my individual account?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX and mortgage

essex wrote:
I am an authorized user on an American Express Gold card.  The balance is approx $6k.  With this card, balances are due in full each month however there is a revolving line of credit option available.  My credit report does not show a minimum payment for this account.  What percent of the balance do lenders add into debt to income ratios when qualifying a customer for a mortgage?

I would like to apply for my own card soon.  Although I am the AU on this account, I use this account solely.  Will AMEX consider my payment history on this card when considering me for my individual account?

Thanks

1.) As an AU, you're not responsible fro any money owed on the Amex Gold Card.

2.) I doubt Amex will take into account this AU account if you apply with them, they know you're not the responsible party. May I suggest you apply for joint status with Amex if they allow you to.  Also, do you have any other credit cards or loans? Do you know your FICO scores?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Yes, I do have other accounts.  I hold an orchard bank visa and mastercard, a card with Target, Macys, Walmart, and ExxonMobil and keep low to zero balances on them.  I have a car loan that opened in November of 2006 and just finished paying off a small installment loan with my credit union. I have old paid collection accounts and two paid/satisfied judgments.  All of my newer credit is paid as agreed and  my scores are TU:623, EQ:657, EX:696.

So, what you're saying in regards to my first questions is that a mortgage lender should not factor the AMEX debt into my rations, right?

Thanks
Message 3 of 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

essex wrote:
Hello,

Yes, I do have other accounts.  I hold an orchard bank visa and mastercard, a card with Target, Macys, Walmart, and ExxonMobil and keep low to zero balances on them.  I have a car loan that opened in November of 2006 and just finished paying off a small installment loan with my credit union. I have old paid collection accounts and two paid/satisfied judgments.  All of my newer credit is paid as agreed and  my scores are TU:623, EQ:657, EX:696.

So, what you're saying in regards to my first questions is that a mortgage lender should not factor the AMEX debt into my rations, right?

Thanks

Yes, the mortgage lender will not factor the Amex account in your det-to-income ratio.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.