Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX did something remarkable!

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

AMEX did something remarkable!

I applied for the AMEX BCE in June 2013 and was given 8k credit limit and 61 days later asked for 3x CLI but they
countered with 23k which I gladly agreed to. Six months later I asked for the 1k that they didn't give me on my
initial CLI request and I was told NO because of a previous charged off account through AMEX (I think the old
charged off account was a 1k credit limit card). Evidently, the charged off account was from 1999 and AMEX has not
asked me to pay up. What they have done is very surprising. The card that I recieved from them in June 2013 has now
been back dated to 1999 and has been reported to all three CRA which in turn has raised my AAoA to 4 years. Now, my
oldest account is 15 years old compared to the 6 year oldest account that I had previously. My credit limit remains
at 23k and Amex has not said anything about the old charged off account except for denying me a CLI.

What has this done to my scores? Glad you asked. I pulled all 3 scores through My FICO and my Experian went from
730 to 795, Equifax 728 to 779 and Transunion 744 to 780. These increases happened in a period of 1 month.

Does this make sense or, is this standard practice with AMEX? This seems outrageous to me and if AMEX were to
request that I paid the old account, I would comply.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX did something remarkable!

Have you considered what doors may open for you if you pay off your old debt?

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, backdating by AMEX is a definite plus.  I wish some of the others would do it too.  Oh well.. congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your success! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Slab wrote:

Does this make sense or, is this standard practice with AMEX?

It happens.   AmEx will sometimes approve accounts to those who have burned them in the past but that isn't standard practice.  In such cases the person may be limited by the outstanding debt.  Backdating is standard practice.

Message 5 of 6
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.