Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX platinum worth it???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX platinum worth it???

Is the AMEX Platinum card worth it? What special stuffs do you really actually get (considering the huge annual fee)? Any thoughts specially to the ones who has one? thanks for the info 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
sl
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX platinum worth it???

Hubby has the AMEX Platinum card and pays $450/year.

You get companion airline tickets if your purchase through their special 800 number.

You get free access to the Delta Airlines priviate clubs in the airport.

$1M Extra travel insurance if you book your ticket through their 800 number.

Invites to special events.

Discounts and upgrades at hotels.

Rewards back.

If you travel a lot I suppose it is a good card to have. You have an 800 number reserved for platinum card members and that number does work. We got stranded in Dallas once and all hotels were full. We called AMEX and they got us a room at a nice hotel near the airport.

Also, if you plane is canceled, call them and they take care of you.

If you make big purchases, I suppose it is worth it. He bought our time-share in Florida with it and it went through with no problem. Also did the same with a car.

Even through there is no pre-set credit limit, I believe they don't question the big purchases.

He has had his card since 1992 or 1993 and uses the heck out of it. He uses it for all monthly expenses and pays off when it comes in.

Also to be an AU on the card, add on $175.00 year. When I am out I just use his card and have never been questioned. I refuse to pay $175 for an extra card. I feel the annual fee is high, but it suits his needs and never had a problem.

As I have posted on this board before, I am not a big fan of AMEX for my problems, however, I will add, their 800 number for platinum members provides the BEST customer service I have ever received. I cannot get information about the account, however, I can call and make travel arrangements and they just call hubby to verify the purchase or he calls ahead and says his wife will be calling to make travel arrangements and they honor his word with no problem.

Message Edited by sl on 07-24-2007 05:05 AM

Message Edited by sl on 07-24-2007 05:09 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.