Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

On 04/11/2017 AT&T/DirecTV performed an unauthorized inquiry to my Equifax credit-report.  Since then, I have filed multiple complaints with AT&T/DirecTV, Equifax, the FCC, and the BBB.

Currently, the Equifax inquiry has been changed from hard to soft.  Please do not dwell on the fact that a soft-inquiry is non-impactive to my credit-score… Now it is about proving a point.  The FCC and BBB are useless - Each complaint I file with them, they close when AT&T simply states they are working on the problem... Idiots.

At this point... AT&T reports they are unable to remove the soft-inquiry.  Equifax reports only AT&T can have the inquiry removed. In addition, Equifax reports "this is their policy" - But will not put anything in writing that I can give to AT&T...  Morons. 

Well… That is my tale of woe.  Help?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

After filing a dispute, next step is to file a civil action and receive review by the courts of an assertion of a credit inquiry that lacked permissible purpose under any provision of FCRA 604.

As an aside, remember that the basis for challenging the inquiry is lack of permissible purpose, and not lack of consumer authorization.

Consumer authorization is only required if the party lacks any of the permissible purposes listed under FCRA 604.

Message 2 of 22
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On 04/11/2017 AT&T/DirecTV performed an unauthorized inquiry to my Equifax credit-report.  Since then, I have filed multiple complaints with AT&T/DirecTV, Equifax, the FCC, and the BBB.

Currently, the Equifax inquiry has been changed from hard to soft.  Please do not dwell on the fact that a soft-inquiry is non-impactive to my credit-score… Now it is about proving a point.  The FCC and BBB are useless - Each complaint I file with them, they close when AT&T simply states they are working on the problem... Idiots.

At this point... AT&T reports they are unable to remove the soft-inquiry.  Equifax reports only AT&T can have the inquiry removed. In addition, Equifax reports "this is their policy" - But will not put anything in writing that I can give to AT&T...  Morons. 

Well… That is my tale of woe.  Help?

In the same boat. I have two inquiries; one from April and one from August of this year that I'm waiting on their "results" after my filing claim. I requested information that was used for the application, e.g. name, address, etc. so I can file the police report. In case anybody else needs the info, you can submit the claim at https://accountverification.directv.com/app/ask_notmyaccount. Took me a while to even get that link. The CSR are pretty useless at times, especially if you don't have a specific account number to reference. 

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks folks for the information. I just submitted an additional complaint to DirecTV using the supplied link.  Note:  Two folks from AT&T's "Office of the President" took on the challange and failed. 

Message 4 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

Did you do anything to cause ATT to pull your CR.  I ask this because they could potentialy pull your CR if you are looking to add or upgrade services and or devices.  Also it could be the first sign of ID theft.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try filing a complaint at CFPB https://www.consumerfinance.gov/?  If not, you may want to file there and see what happens.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

Did you do anything to cause ATT to pull your CR.  I ask this because they could potentialy pull your CR if you are looking to add or upgrade services and or devices.  Also it could be the first sign of ID theft.

No approved reason for AT&T to inquire.  I monitor my credit-report regularly… Hopefully this is not ID theft related. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you try filing a complaint at CFPB https://www.consumerfinance.gov/?  If not, you may want to file there and see what happens.

I did in the past... But neither AT&T or DirecTV are in their pull-down of companies.  I just tried again inputting different criteria... Let's see what happens this time!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although with many apologies, and many assurances, three folks from the “Office of the <AT&T> President” failed.

Only after filing a dispute with AT&T’s legal folks, “Office for Resolution”, did I get the appropriate attention, and thereafter a prompt resolution.    

Below is the letter I received from AT&T’s legal department.

Also, below is the “Notice of Dispute” form.

Hopefully, this will work as well for you as it did for me!

PNG_000014_edited.jpgATT_edited.jpg

Message 9 of 22
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Glad you got resolution. I actually just got a couple of letters regarding my online dispute submission to the link previously shared.  I have to wait for the inquiries to be removed, but I have the letters if they aren't in a timely manner.

directv.jpg

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.