Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

They are discussing whether or not the party had the basic right to receive your credit report, and not how the CRA subsequently treats inclusion of the inquiry in subsequent credit reports they provide to you or others.

It thus applies to all inquiries, regardless of whether or not the CRA can include reference to the inquiry in subsequent credit reports they provide to others (i.e., a so-called "hard" inquiry), or whether they are limited only to inclusion of the inquiry in credit reports provided to the named consumer (i.e., a so-called "soft" inquiry).

If you are challenging the legitimacy of the inquiry itself, you base your challenge on their lack of permissible purpose, as discussed in the FTC staff opinion letter.

However, if you agree that the inquiry is legit but seek removal from credit reports subsequently obtained by othersw, then you are not contesting lack of permissible purpose, but rather making a request that they voluntarily recode the inquiry as soft.

CRAs permit discretionary coding of a legit inquiry that otherwise clearly qualifies as a hard inquiry as soft, thus removing it from view by others, and thus from scoring.  That is usually the easier route......

Message 21 of 22
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Re: AT&T/DirecTV Unauthorized Credit-Inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

@rooeez wrote:

Just to be clear, the inquries on my report did not stem from any action on my part. I do not have DirecTV/AT&T service of any kind and had no need fo rnew service or any change/upgrade.

That's really interesting -- and should be worrisome for you, as it suggests the likelihood of identity theft.  The big issue is that you are on a bad guy's list of people to steal from.... not the scoring impact of the 1-2 inquiries themselves.

Has anyone made any progress on the ID theft?  (E.g. police, etc?)

Your situation is a bit different from our OP's, since we know why AT&T/DTV did the inquiry in his case.

Agreed. In my complaint to DirecTV I was searching for the applicant's service address and personal information to provide report/identity theft/police report in addition to removing the inquiries. I provided the link I used since it was another resource for the community here.

I still haven't been able to get that info, but I know that account wasn't opened, my credit reports are all locked down, and I watch my reports pretty closely. I'll still continue to pursue getting his/her info.

I provide

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.