Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T deposit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T deposit

So I tried getting a new line and they wanted a 500$ deposit.

They checked equifax which is 689 according to here as of today. Equifax . com is showing only 634 as a score. I have pretty good credit otherwise... Any idea why they want a deposit? I am pretty upset about this whole thing and it's embarrassing. Could it be from too many inquiries? (loan shopping)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: AT&T deposit

A deposit that high with that kind of score?  That seems outrageous.

I remember having to give a $500 deposit several years ago when my credit was beyond terrible, but we're talking like 500s.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's crazy I'd take my business to elsewhere. Plus they got so many prepaid and top up program now for 50/mo they you get unlimited everything. Don't pay for that deposit

Message 3 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yep I pay $55 per month unlimited everything with 10gb of data. Screw AT&T. They own Cricket and that is my carrier. Uses AT&T network. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They checked equifax which is 689 according to here as of today. Equifax . com is showing only 634 as a score. I have pretty good credit otherwise... Any idea why they want a deposit? I am pretty upset about this whole thing and it's embarrassing. Could it be from too many inquiries? (loan shopping)

Whenever it's like that. Regardless of credit. It usually means they have old bill on file. Even if pass the 7 years. But. I would not do it. Even if refundable. Equifax score is fako. Says it in fine print. No need to b embarrassed. Just pay or go pre paid. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whenever it's like that. Regardless of credit. It usually means they have old bill on file. Even if pass the 7 years. But. I would not do it. Even if refundable. Equifax score is fako. Says it in fine print. No need to b embarrassed. Just pay or go pre paid. 

Or go to a different carrier. My credit was horrible when I got mine and I paid no deposit.

Message 6 of 10
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you owe MaBell...

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

Sounds like you owe MaBell...

This would be my guess. Even as a deposit, $500 is a bit much.

Message 8 of 10
Cstone87
New Contributor

No perhaps in the NCTUE

Too many cards
DOJ
Message 9 of 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

Its typical for At&t for new contract holders with poor credit. Sorry but its standard operating procedure nothing to be embarrassed about.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.