cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T pulled EXP for reserving iPhone 4s- Is it ok?

tag
nixforfun
Established Member

AT&T pulled EXP for reserving iPhone 4s- Is it ok?

Hi

I reserved an iPhone 4S using Apple Store app. I had to reserve an AT&T version although when I went in-store I did not sign up for an AT&T contract. I bought one as "device only".

I was surprised to find an Inquiry from AT&T on my Experian report. I had just reserved a device and had not actually made any AT&T contract. Is it ok for AT&T to hard pull my credit report? Should I dispute?

Regards

Nik

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: AT&T pulled EXP for reserving iPhone 4s- Is it ok?

Not ok. I've only ever had ATT run me once and that was for entering into a 2 year agreement with them almost 6 years ago.....I'd call ATT and see what they say, and dispute it as well.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would take a close look and the T&Cs of the Apple Store App, or any details you have regarding this iPhone reservation.   It is very likely that they pulled your CR preemptively, thinking that you were going to sign up for a new 2 year contract.   I know that when I signed up with AT&T Wireless years ago they did pull my credit as part of the approval process.

I'm assuming that you provided a CC # and address information when making the reservation, so they would have the info on you to pull your CR.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 14
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Do you already have an account with att (contract)?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 4 of 14
nixforfun
Established Member

No I am not an existing AT&T subscriber..infact never had a contract with them

Message 5 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What information did you give them beyond your name?

Message 6 of 14
nixforfun
Established Member

It pulled up all the information from my itunes account which had my address, Date of Birth and Credit card details.. It had field for SSN and it asked me to fill it, I didnt and in the second try it did allow me to go ahead.

Message 7 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did you have to click any boxes agreeing to any terms or conditions (thinks back to a certain South Park episode)? Maybe there's a line item in there agreeing to a pull? Guessing.

Message 8 of 14
nixforfun
Established Member

I don't remember agreeing to any Terms but there were some when I actually went to the store to buy the phone. Again at the store as well, I did not have to give any additional details except had to give them my credit card for payment. None of the terms in store mentioned anything about a credit check although I could be mistaken as I was very excited to get the phone in my hands.

Do you think its worth a shot disputing this and seeing where it goes?

Thanks for all the guidance !!

Message 9 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would start with AT&T, give them a call and ask them to remove the inquiry as you did not authorize or intend to initiate wireless service with them.

However in the back of my mind I have a sneaking suspicion that buried in either the iTunes or Apple T&Cs they have some wording that authorizes a credit check before you get to the store so that you aren't suprised if they require a deposit when you show up to get it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.