Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Question

tag
burin4life
New Contributor

AU Question

My credit is shot. But in the rebuilding stage right now. If my girlfriend makes me an AU on here Target account? Will my bad credit drop her score and will her good credit jump my score immediately

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AU Question

@burin4life wrote:

My credit is shot. But in the rebuilding stage right now. If my girlfriend makes me an AU on here Target account? Will my bad credit drop her score and will her good credit jump my score immediately

Hi there.

Your credit won't affect her at at but you being added as an AU can help IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
burin4life
New Contributor

She has had it since 2003, longer than any open (PAYING AS AGREED) account i have ever had. But she maxes it out every month

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Do you know which bank Target uses?

I add my husband to JCP, Walmart, and CareCredit (GE Money Bank) and they all added him within a week to ten days.

I added my brother to the same accounts and they still haven't shown up on his credit reports.  (At least TU that I can tell).

You need to make sure Target will report the AU account for it to affect your score.  You can still be an AU w/o it being reported.  That's the ticket.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@burin4life wrote:

She has had it since 2003, longer than any open (PAYING AS AGREED) account i have ever had. But she maxes it out every month

That's ok as long as she times her payments to be sure the reported balance on the statement is 9% or less of the CL. But if she always has a high utilization then it probably won't help you.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.