Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU or Joint. Need help Fast!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU or Joint. Need help Fast!!!

In case you don't know my situation, I'm moving to Florida in a month. I'm going down in a week to look for apartments. I'm worried about being approved with my scores (580's). So my mom agreed to add me as an AU on 2 or 3 accounts. Is it better to be a joint or authorized. I know the difference. I could be held liable for charges as a joint but I wouldn't have to worry about the points drop when the change the scoring. My question, if added as joint, do the do an inq to make sure I'm credit worthy before adding me. I don't want to lose any points, I just need a quick bump. Do you think AU is the best way to go??????
I'm at my mom's house now, she's waiting for me to decide, so I'm counting on you guys in the heat of the moment....so to speak! Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AU or Joint. Need help Fast!!!

@Anonymous wrote:
In case you don't know my situation, I'm moving to Florida in a month. I'm going down in a week to look for apartments. I'm worried about being approved with my scores (580's). So my mom agreed to add me as an AU on 2 or 3 accounts. Is it better to be a joint or authorized. I know the difference. I could be held liable for charges as a joint but I wouldn't have to worry about the points drop when the change the scoring. My question, if added as joint, do the do an inq to make sure I'm credit worthy before adding me. I don't want to lose any points, I just need a quick bump. Do you think AU is the best way to go??????
I'm at my mom's house now, she's waiting for me to decide, so I'm counting on you guys in the heat of the moment....so to speak! Thanks in advance!

AU would probably be less hassle - just a phone call, no hard inquiry. But there's no guarantee it would hit your credit report in less than 30 days. When I added my DW as an AU on one of my accounts, it took about 40 days to report (2nd statement date).

A joint account might require an inquiry and you might not be approved. It might hit your credit report faster than an AU would, but there's no guarantee of that either.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. She added me as an AU on two store cards and a joint one one; JCPenny's. Hope my credit is good enough for approval for that. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Thanks for everyone's help so far. It's a long road, but I know someday I'll get there......
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

'Sup Savings 321,
The answer to your question in most cases is yes, if you want to be added as a joint account holder an inquiry will be made to determine your creditworthiness. My wife and I had a few CCs that we'd individually acquired before we were married. When we tried to add each other to the cards as joint account holders we were consistently told that the person being added would have to apply and be approved, but if one of us added the other person as an authorized user, no application was necessary. We assumed this is because the original account holder was still legally responsible for the debt. In one instance, my wife and I had CCs with the same company, with strong payment histories, and that company merged our accounts into a single account as a courtesy without doing an inquiry. With regard to your score, I'd just go for the AU and not apply for the joint, because the hard inquiries will definitely hurt your score and you might not get approved for any of the CCs. You should also note that it may take some time (up to 2 or 3 months) for the CRA's to update your file and for the updates to reflect in your score. In Sept AU accounts will not be used in the scoring process so you might have already missed the window of opportunity  to benefit from  having an AU in your file. (It's already August so you only have a month before the new rules, if the CRA's take a while to update your file, you won't benefit from your new AU info)Smiley Sad
Good Luck!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.