Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Inactivity.

tag
Bobby1146
Established Member

Account Inactivity.

How long do we have before a Credit Card Company closes a account for inactivity? I just got approved for the "Barclay's Ring Card" & its APR is 8%, 1% for BT & 1% for cash advances, & all my other cards are way higher than that, so I won't be using them as much or at all. To be more specific, my other lowest APR card is my "Chase Sapphire" & its 16%, "Discover 17% & The others 20+%.

Chase Sapphire $5000/ Gap Visa $5000/ Discover$6500, Barclays Ring $5000, Chase Freedom $1,100.00/ Macy's $3000/ Best Buy $3400
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RED_Knives
Valued Member

Re: Account Inactivity.

Found this useful not sure if you have already read it?
http://credit.about.com/od/usingcreditcards/a/inactiivtyclosed.htm

https://www.mint.com/blog/credit/how-credit-card-inactivity-impacts-your-credit-scores-042012/

^

I

"   I

If this is a concern for you, there’s a way to prevent all of this. All you have to do is use your credit card from time to time. Now, I’m not suggesting that you get into debt and I’m not suggesting that you use it to buy things you wouldn’t normally buy.

I’m suggesting that you buy a tank of gas or use it to pay this month’s cable bill, which are things you’re going to have to pay for anyway. This way you’re killing two birds with one stone.

By using the card, and then paying it off immediately, you’re resetting the activity clock and it isn’t costing you a penny in interest. The credit card issuer is happy because they’re making revenue from the swipe fee, which is being paid by the merchant, not by you.

Best of all, you protect your credit because the issuer isn’t likely to close your account if you use it from time to time, even on modest purchases."

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 800

Credit Cards and Credit Limits: Barclay 7250, AMEX 2000, Discover 6250, Cap OnePlat 3000, BestBuy 3000, Chase 3500, Paypal 4300, Walmart 1000, BOA 2000, Kohls 800, Target RED 500, Les Schwab 500, TOTAL 34900 OldestAc1.8 years
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
RED_Knives
Valued Member

I don't think theres really anyway to know since most companies use different methods of finding out and estimating if your active or inactive.

So cards will close in 3 months, I have read old navy does this. and some may take up to a year to 6months. So depending on the company. Perhaps you could just send an email to one of there departments to get an exact answer, that way you could charge a simple thing onto one of the cards and prevent your credit util from going down

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 800

Credit Cards and Credit Limits: Barclay 7250, AMEX 2000, Discover 6250, Cap OnePlat 3000, BestBuy 3000, Chase 3500, Paypal 4300, Walmart 1000, BOA 2000, Kohls 800, Target RED 500, Les Schwab 500, TOTAL 34900 OldestAc1.8 years
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Bobby1146 wrote:

How long do we have before a Credit Card Company closes a account for inactivity?

There is no X for all creditors.  Some do not do so at all.  Some do after X.  Some do so after Y... etc etc.  Verify directly with each of your creditors.

@Bobby1146 wrote:

I just got approved for the "Barclay's Ring Card" & its APR is 8%, 1% for BT & 1% for cash advances, & all my other cards are way higher than that

Keep in mind that rewards generally don't mean much if you're not PIF'ing.  The card I use most does not have the lowest APR.  The card I use least has the lowest APR.  However, all are PIF'ed unless there's a 0% intro offer that I'm using so APR really doesn't matter much (though I do aim for the best APR possible with each card).

Message 4 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Barclay's Apple - 12 months and they told me to use it or lose it

QT gas card - will close after 6 months inactivity

Just two examples from my past.

I put monthly bills (ones that are constant every month) and charitable deductions on mine to keep them alive

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 7
blondy250
Established Contributor

Depends on the card, Macy's closed my card (several years ago) after 3 months of no activity, on the other hand my Discover went 2 years with no activity with no problems. My Dell account went 5 years with no activity (apple guy) with no reprocussions, although I have recently made a small purchase on it to keep it active.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 7
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

I believe barclays has a 3mo rule, though from what I hear it doesn't necessarily mean your account will definitely be closed. From what i udnerstand it means that they can close it. Things might be different for co-branded cards.

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.