cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy of myFICO score watch

tag
geminiash1

Accuracy of myFICO score watch

So I looked on credit sesame and my score was 605. Pretty exciting for me because I've been trying to climb out of a hole and I don't remember a score past 540. I decided to get a more accurate score so I ordered myFICO score watch and to my horror, my Equifax score was 509. I couldn't find anything besides perusing these boards about how accurate myFICO scores are so I just ordered the Equifax score and it says 468. I'm in disbelief! I just recently paid off 4 collections accounts and have 5 more to go. 2 of the 4 that I paid are not yet reflected. Either way, before I paid them off, my score was better. I'm not delinquent on my car payment or credit card. Those are the only open accounts that I have besides my student loans. I'm working on getting all of those consolidated. Does anyone have any insight on why the myFICO score is different from my Equifax score. I pulled them both within an hour of each other and why my score would go down after paying off some of my collections accounts?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Accuracy of myFICO score watch

Welcome to the forums.

myFICO SW is the exact same FICO score that lenders use, it is the Beacon 5.

The score from EQ website is a FAKO score, the same with credit sesame and are for educational purposes only.

Paid and unpaid collections are scored the same, as a collections.

If you paid off a collections that had not updated in a while your score would drop because when it updates to a current date it made it look more recent.

Message 2 of 5
stillworking
New Contributor

@geminiash1 wrote:
So I looked on credit sesame and my score was 605. Pretty exciting for me because I've been trying to climb out of a hole and I don't remember a score past 540. I decided to get a more accurate score so I ordered myFICO score watch and to my horror, my Equifax score was 509. I couldn't find anything besides perusing these boards about how accurate myFICO scores are so I just ordered the Equifax score and it says 468. I'm in disbelief! I just recently paid off 4 collections accounts and have 5 more to go. 2 of the 4 that I paid are not yet reflected. Either way, before I paid them off, my score was better. I'm not delinquent on my car payment or credit card. Those are the only open accounts that I have besides my student loans. I'm working on getting all of those consolidated. Does anyone have any insight on why the myFICO score is different from my Equifax score. I pulled them both within an hour of each other and why my score would go down after paying off some of my collections accounts?

paying off an old collection can make the account recently active causing a score DECREASE. The BEST option is PAY FOR DELETE. 

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

(nm)
Message 4 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

IME, it is easier to get paid collections removed, even if you couldn't get a PFD.  Try calling them and asking for a removal.  Some CAs will delete their reporting if you ask.  If that doesn't work, send some letters.  Paying off unpaid debts is a good start to improving your credit and increasing your chances with future lenders.  There is a bit more work required, however, to fix your credit history and improve your FICO score.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.