Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating Inactive Credit Account

tag
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Activating Inactive Credit Account

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit. Everything is caught up but I found an old Victoria Secret Angel card that my wife must have opened up 4 or 5 years ago on my reports. It hasn't reported activity since 2010 and it has no negative marks.

I probably should have asked first but I only have 19-21 accounts listed on my report. Only 9 of which are open. So I ordered a replacement card and told her to spend $150 in order to get it active. It only has a $500 limit so I'm paying most of it off the this month and the rest over a few months.

I was just curious as to what kind of score impact this would have.....If any. I have 10 accounts with lates on them at some point, 4 of which are charge offs from 2010-2011(3 are paid, in the process of GW) the 4th never went to collections and I can't find who to pay. Plus 2 paid collections from 2010-2011 I'm trying to remove through GW.

I just need more positive accounts and this seemed like a good place to jump to after getting 2 USAA Secured Cards. Plus my history is only averaging 5 years.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
H14
Contributor

Re: Activating Inactive Credit Account

Putting any amount of money on it, say $5, and letting the statement close should get it reporting as active again. No need to put $150 or anything that you can't pay off as soon as it reports. 

Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Sneakytiki wrote:

I was just curious as to what kind of score impact this would have.....

It's difficult to say even knowing the details of your credit however derogs always have a much bigger impact.

Message 3 of 4
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Well she did it, I appreciate the replies. She spent the money, I already paid it down to $50 and set up a couple more payments for the next couple months to pay it off. Hopefully it helps my reports, even if it's minor. Maybe ill get a CLI out of it in 6 months or so.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.