Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Account Disappeared from TU Report/Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Active Account Disappeared from TU Report/Score

I have had 1 CapitalOne credit card for 9 years and was recently approved for a second CapitalOne credit card last week. CapitalOne has a feature called Credit Tracker that gives you your TransUnion credit score once a month and I utilize that feature monthly. My original CapitalOne credit card (my one and only card with a credit history of 9 years) disappeard from the TU report that I get through the CapitalOne Credit Tracker tool this month. Completely disappeared and lowering my TU credit score 23 points or so. I was expecting my credit score to be higher this month for two reasons:

1 - I was awarded a CLI on that card (+$3,000, soft pull)

2 - I was approved for a 2nd CapitalOne card (Quickksilver Visa Signature) with a $10,000 credit limit (hard pull)

I knew the hard pull would bring the score down a few notches but I was thinking the $13,000 total credit limit increase would bring me up! The second, new card (and corresponding credit limit) is NOT on the TU report, which I didn't really expect until next month I guess. But I definitely didn't expect my first card to just disappear ad lower my score so much!

Does anyone know what happened or have advice on if there is anything I need to do about that? Do you think they will both appear next month?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Active Account Disappeared from TU Report/Score

It is fine to use the Cap1 credit tracker for educational purposes.  But the score is not a FICO score.  Do not rely on it to know where you are in your credit journey.  One quirk in the score Cap1 provides is it only uses open accounts for your score.  When old accounts are closed, it can have a major effect on the Cap1 TU score.  However, your real FICO scores use the closed accounts and are not affected in the same way.

The missing TL may just be a fluke with the way Cap1 reports items.  If you haven't used your annual free credit report, I would pull the report from at least EX to see if the old TL is still there.  Write down the Credit Report EX gives you.  You can then pull updated reports when ever you like from EX.  You will just need to pull the EX report at least every 90 days.

For TU and EQ, I might wait a little before pulling the official reports to let the new TL report.  In the meantime, you can use CreditKarma to pull weekly (free) TU credit reports.  The score CK pushes is the same as Cap1 although, CK updates more often.  The only score CK provides that is used at all is the TU Vantage score.  However, it isn't use very much.   In general, it takes longer for items to post to TU than the other CRA's.  You will probably be able to see the new account on EX several days before it will appear on your TU account.

Quizzle will give you a free EQ Credit report every 180 days.  Quizzle provides an EQ Vantage credit score, but it is a different version/score range than CK.

Check to see which CRA's the old account is being reported on. If it is only missing from the Cap1 tool, then nothing to be concerned about.  If it is missing from all three major CRA's then I would suspect that Cap1 has accidentally deleted the old account from your CRA's.  You will need to call Cap1 and ask them to resolve the issue.

If it is only missing from TU, I would suspect a problem with TU.  Possibly a split credit report.  Of course, even if it is only missing from TU, it could still be a cap1 reporting problem.

The only way to know for sure is to gather your information and start calling.

If you wish for a real FICO TU-08 score... look into a credit card from Barclay, Discover or Wally.   

Message 2 of 3
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Active Account Disappeared from TU Report/Score

I've noticed a quirk with my TU as well.  My last 2 INQs caused other INQs to fall off.  This info is from CK so it may not be acurate but I have had 2 new INQs recently in the last week and my total number of INQs is still 14.  I'm certainly not complaining, just saying!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.