Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Fraud Alert

tag
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

Active Fraud Alert

I currently am disputing a Georgia address. Never even been there or through there lol. Any how experian placed a Fraud Alert on all three bureaus due to it.

I'm assuming it's different than freezing? I've had to do a few call verifications due to it. When will it go away?
Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Active Fraud Alert

I had this happen to me... If I remember correctly it will expire in 90 days, but you can submit a form and have them lifted within a few weeks. TU is easy, you just do it online. EX and EQ want you to send in a form with your ID to lift the fraud alert. EQ was a real pain. I sent in the info, got a letter telling me they need more info, I ended up calling and they lifted over the phone.  You are also opted out after a fraud alert, so no more pre-quals until you opt back in.

Applications and CLI's can be a pain with a fraud alert in place... Just FYI.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Active Fraud Alert

Under the FCRA, fraud alerts are initiated only by the consumer or his/her authorized rep.

They are not imposed simply upon request by a third party.

They can always be rescinded at any time by the consumer by notification to the CRA, limted only by showing proof if identity.

The CRAs, perhaps rightfully, assume that any raising of identity theft related issues is a request by the consumer to place an initial (90-day) fraud alert in their file.

All a consumer needs is to submit a request to rescind, accompanied by proof of their identity.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.