cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added One CC - Possible no score drop at all?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Added One CC - Possible no score drop at all?

Hi All,  

Just wondering if it is possible that a new CC can be added to a profile and not have any score hit at all, especially if the AAoA is still strong.  I added a Cap1 Venture ($30K) about a week ago.  When the 3 HP's hit my reports, it appears that there was no score impact at all on the FICO 8 models.  I assume this is because my Inq's were extremely low (had been two total and both over a year old).  I calculate that the new CC will take my AAoA from about 13.2 years to 12.7 years.  

Is it possible that with my AAoA still being pretty high that there will be no adverse impact on my scores with the new account, or does adding a new account in of itself automatically cause at least a short term hit to scoring?  Have you ever added another card and had scores remain unchanged from the HP and new account?

Thanks! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Added One CC - Possible no score drop at all?

@EW800 wrote:

Hi All,  

Just wondering if it is possible that a new CC can be added to a profile and not have any score hit at all, especially if the AAoA is still strong.  I added a Cap1 Venture ($30K) about a week ago.  When the 3 HP's hit my reports, it appears that there was no score impact at all on the FICO 8 models.  I assume this is because my Inq's were extremely low (had been two total and both over a year old).  I calculate that the new CC will take my AAoA from about 13.2 years to 12.7 years.  

Is it possible that with my AAoA still being pretty high that there will be no adverse impact on my scores with the new account, or does adding a new account in of itself automatically cause at least a short term hit to scoring?  Have you ever added another card and had scores remain unchanged from the HP and new account?

Thanks! 

Adding a card does not automatically drop your score. I've added several cards during the past year that did not drop my score.  In your case I think there's a good chance you won't see a score drop

Message 2 of 4
EW800
Valued Contributor

Excellent. I was hoping that would be the case.
Thanks again!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's never just about the change itself but about one's credit profile and how the change factors into profile.  Impact of a new account will vary depending on credit profile and the details of the new account.  A drop is not guaranteed in every possible situation despite the tendency of people to assume that to be the case.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.