Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Comments on CR

tag
Dani62384
Valued Member

Adding Comments on CR

Does this actually do anything? I am fighting w/ my local CU who I do and have done all my business with my entire life, about a $10.00 late fee that was accessed on a car loan in December 2011 (very recently)....I had paid my car payment a little late, and didn't know about a late fee, and underpaid my account by less than $1, and they gave me a 30-day late and refuse to remove it. So I want to add a comment on all 3 CR's stating that I was not 30 days late. I am waiting for my CU to return my call to find out the exact amount I was short, and would like to add this on there....would this help or make any difference at all? Especially when trying to apply for FHA next year...

Starting Score: 574 (3/29/11)
Current Score: EQ-603 (3/22/12) TU- 540 (4/24/12)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Adding Comments on CR

Comments on you CR will only be looked at during a manual review ~ they won't alter or affect your FICO score in any way.    So your LO/Underwriter might see them but they won't negate the score effect of a late payment.   

Hopefully you can work something out with the CU ~ the amount of money involved is trivial....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
Dani62384
Valued Member

@pizzadude wrote:

Comments on you CR will only be looked at during a manual review ~ they won't alter or affect your FICO score in any way.    So your LO/Underwriter might see them but they won't negate the score effect of a late payment.   

Hopefully you can work something out with the CU ~ the amount of money involved is trivial....

YES!!!  Well I may have gotten somewhere, because they actually have a credit bureau division (whom i did not speak with the 1st round in January)...so I finally talked to someone about 15 minutes ago, and she began reading off all the short payments i made in October, November & December....i corrected her and told her I have never made a short payment, I was just late in Decmeber (but not by 30 days)...I even pulled my own payment history online for proof...she is now investigating my records and calling me back...i remain hopeful as this is my only late since 2008....:fingers crossed!

Message 3 of 9
kjm79
Valued Contributor

If you weren't 30 days late then you have a valid dispute that they are reporting incaccurate information.  If you haven't already figure out exactly how many days late you were.  The 30 day late may be invalid, but you were late so the late fee is valid. 

As for the late payment, that's a pick your battle issue.  You may not have been specifically told there would be a late payment fee, but it's pretty common knowledge that creditors charge late fees for late payments.  I imagine it was also in your loan agreement.  I'd try and see if they waive it as a one time courtesy, but they don't have to.  Hopefully it all gets straightened out for you!   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I am going to guess that the CU is not claiming that your entire payment was late by 30 days, however if you had a late fee that you were unaware of and didn't pay then it may have gone late over 30 days. At this point you really need the people at the CU's reporting division to be on your side. Don't make the conversation adversarial. You need to say "Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't recognize this and take care of it sooner. I swear it will never occur again as I value the relationship with your CU so much."Heart Smiley Embarassed Heart

I know it might be tough but what you are asking for is a goodwill adjustment of the facts. The trivial amount should work in your favor, but you need to make them WANT to help you.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 5 of 9
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I am going to guess that the CU is not claiming that your entire payment was late by 30 days, however if you had a late fee that you were unaware of and didn't pay then it may have gone late over 30 days.

Very good point!

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 9
Dani62384
Valued Member

Yes guys....you are all correct. I just spoke with her, and I had received a late payment, which I was unaware of, which, I am sure too that it is in my loan agreement somewhere. So the late fees are valid as I was a few days late. I just didn't know about them, and when I made my payments, it showed short pays, which I wasn't aware of. So basically, this is my own fault, but my CU is not willing to compromise with me. They don't care if I ever buy a house, as I basically explained I cannot have any late on my report for 2 years to apply for FHA. She could care less. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Dani62384 wrote:

Yes guys....you are all correct. I just spoke with her, and I had received a late payment, which I was unaware of, which, I am sure too that it is in my loan agreement somewhere. So the late fees are valid as I was a few days late. I just didn't know about them, and when I made my payments, it showed short pays, which I wasn't aware of. So basically, this is my own fault, but my CU is not willing to compromise with me. They don't care if I ever buy a house, as I basically explained I cannot have any late on my report for 2 years to apply for FHA. She could care less. Smiley Sad

Which CU is this?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Start searching for names of real persons within the executive ranks of the CU. Talking on the phone with one CSR is not the be all and end all. I'm sure she is just quoting "policy". As i stated before you need to plead your case in a letter. Not "I need my report clear to buy a house" but "OMG I can't believe I did this to you and broke our fine relationship. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and adjust this mistake."

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.