Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address Deletions

tag
2anewu
Regular Contributor

Address Deletions

Hi all, I just read a post about address deletions and am not sure of the significance of doing so. I searched the post but could not find the information I needed. Thanks!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Address Deletions

From my understanding, they don't affect your score.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  Only negative I can see in all the address' being reported is that if someone does a manual review, it may show instability if you move around a lot?
Message 2 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

This is a trick used by many in preparation for disputing a baddie. Or not.

Message Edited by smallfry on 06-22-2007 05:37 PM
Message 3 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

It is rumored that getting old/wrong/misspelled addresses deleted can help pave the way for getting baddies deleted.

EQ & TU generally don't pose any kind of hassle with this. If you get someone at EQ or TU giving a hassle about this (rare) just hang up and call back.

With EX it used to be next to impossible.

Message 4 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From my understanding, they don't affect your score. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Only negative I can see in all the address' being reported is that if someone does a manual review, it may show instability if you move around a lot?

That and there could be something negative tied to that address. There are legit reasons for removing old addys.
Message 5 of 15
2anewu
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone, It is amazing how you can learn something new everyday. I am getting started now Smiley Wink.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

2anewu wrote:
Hi all, I just read a post about address deletions and am not sure of the significance of doing so. I searched the post but could not find the information I needed. Thanks!

Deleting old addresses may perhaps allow you to avoid some of the promotional marketing done when the CRAs sell your name and address. I know. Opt Out takes care of that. That's why EX is so heavily engaged in skip tracing. They in no way sell the information they have for marketing purposes and it in no way is used for marketing purposes. Sure.

Challenging old addresses, because of the tenacity EX exhibits, might be a pathway to catching EX in violation and suing them for the $1K plus bloodsport of it. FACTA allows you to dispute any piece of information, and an incorrect address constitutes a piece of information. One could perhaps mount a convincing argument that incorrect addresses, not simply variants of previous addresses where you have lived, increase one's risk of ID theft. The Red Flag provisions of 1681m(e) lend some credence to my theory.

If one has resided at the same address "for some period of time", let's call it 2 years, then one could perhaps further argue that deletion of all previous addresses further reduces one's risk--again citing the Red Flag provisions of FCRA.

Message 8 of 15
2anewu
Regular Contributor

I just got off the phone with all 3 CRA's and of course TU & EQ were easy. EX is the one who gave me trouble and would not dispute and address tied to an account -- even though I have never lived in AL. Miss "thang" was very rude but at least I accomplished something.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

2anewu wrote:
I just got off the phone with all 3 CRA's and of course TU & EQ were easy. EX is the one who gave me trouble and would not dispute and address tied to an account -- even though I have never lived in AL. Miss "thang" was very rude but at least I accomplished something.

Call EX back, and ask them the source of the address. If there's a public record out there, somewhere, and it's wrong, you'll wanna know about it to fix it. If they are getting it from a TL reporting, correct with the furnisher.

But if EX is pulling data outta the air, and refusing to fix it, that's knowingly reporting inaccurate info and willfull non-compliance if they refuse to investigate.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.