cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address change on my credit report that isn't mine

tag
zipper97

Address change on my credit report that isn't mine

I have recently gotten divorced.  My ex and I share a credit card that I am the primary borrower on.  The divorce decree states he is responsible for the balance.  I just got a notice that there was an address change on my credit report and my score dropped a few points because of it.  It is my ex's new address.  Do I dispute this change?  I have called the credit card company and have asked them to take me off and they won't do it since I am the primary.  My only choice is to wait for the ex to pay off the balance and close the card.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Address change on my credit report that isn't mine

@zipper97 wrote:

I have recently gotten divorced.  My ex and I share a credit card that I am the primary borrower on.  The divorce decree states he is responsible for the balance.  I just got a notice that there was an address change on my credit report and my score dropped a few points because of it.  It is my ex's new address.  Do I dispute this change?  I have called the credit card company and have asked them to take me off and they won't do it since I am the primary.  My only choice is to wait for the ex to pay off the balance and close the card.  

Yes dispute the address.  As for the card I'd contact them and set it up to not allow any further charges.  Ex wives have known the be vindictive from time to time

Message 2 of 3
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Address change on my credit report that isn't mine

@Anonymous wrote:

@zipper97 wrote:

Yes dispute the address.  As for the card I'd contact them and set it up to not allow any further charges.  Ex wives have known the be vindictive from time to time

+1 you can't be removed until it's paid off. But you can close the account  or freeze further spending on it. 

If I were you I would make sure it's paid every month don't trust the ex will just do the right thing. I would also close the account. This will hurt your score but will insure no further debit. 

If you have other accounts this being closed won't damage your standing too much as UTL % will be determined by overall limits. But this account will show maxed hurting you some.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.