cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice - I thought NCO couldn't do non-authorized hard pulls?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice - I thought NCO couldn't do non-authorized hard pulls?

Can someone advise me on how to dispute this non-authorized hard pull by NCO that is showing up on my TU report? I disputed it with TU a few months ago, got a letter back from TU stating that it was staying on the report and tough luck...basically. The letter actually stated that collection agencies have the right to do hard pulls. I thought this was incorrect? Am I wrong?

I pulled a new TU report/score a couple days ago and this darn inquiry is listed as one of the factors hurting my score.

I don't have any accounts in collections with NCO. I do have a couple of old paid collections - but they are not with NCO and are due to fall off in the next 6-12 months.

I'm not going to go into my unbelievable frustration with TU, but I'm tired of them not following the rules and I want this unauthorized inquiry off my report - and it's new (6-8months), so it is hurting my score.

Is there a letter/template I can use and I'm assuming I would send it certified, since they have ignored my other dispute? I'm really looking for a "get tough" letter, because I have a really difficult time getting TU to investigate and correct misinformation.

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 01-05-2008 03:29 PM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice - I thought NCO couldn't do non-authorized hard pulls?

letter to send to NCO     make all changes and DO NOT sign your name  just type it!!!!  send CMRRR

Non-PP Puller Company
Address
City State Zip Code

To Whom It May Concern:

I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a consumer’s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization nor did I request credit from your organization.

[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one of your reports.]

Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states, in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;"

You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law -- performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission. I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.
Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.

Sincerely,

Consumer
Address
City State Zip Code

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.