Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on increasing scores closer to the 700's

tag
oracleicom
Valued Member

Advice on increasing scores closer to the 700's

Hello all,

I am in desperate need of improving my score from the low 600's to the 700's.  Right now my scores are as follows TU 609, EQ 608, EX 600.  I have 3 credit cards (balance/limit) Orchard Bank (497/600), Capital One (-5/200) and First Premier Bank (0/400). I know I know, I will be paying the Orchard Bank card off in a next week.  Additional info: I have 2 accounts that went into collections about 6 years ago a BoA card and a Verizon Wireless account that are due to fall off my credit files in late 2008 and 2009 respectively.  I also have 1 collection paid right now that I believe is inaccurate.  Comcast opened a collection against me stating that I never returned equipment but when I found out about this acccount by checking my credit files it was already paid. I was never aware of this collection. I tried disputing this but without success.  Any advice? Also I really want to break into the prime cc market so any advice on that as well?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
antredd67
Contributor

Re: Advice on increasing scores closer to the 700's

I j ust found out that if you have a Collection acc ount smaller than 200 dollars, mortgage companies won't look at it.
Message 2 of 9
oracleicom
Valued Member

Yeah the account co account is for 133.00 bucks but it's still reporting negatively on my credit file.  It's very frustrating to have an account that is inaccurate reporting bad when it's not my fault.
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

antredd67 wrote:
  I j ust found out that if you have a Collection acc ount smaller than 200 dollars, mortgage companies won't look at it.

Who told you that?
Message 4 of 9
antredd67
Contributor

My loan officer told me that any collections under $200, the banks won't look at it to be p aid off. When  I refied my house last year, the mortgage company didn't bring it up and I told them that it was a phone collection that I had proof that I paid.  I am just waiting on it to naturally fall off of my credit report in 3 years.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time we bought our current house in 2003, my wife's CR had two collections items from 2001 - one for $30 and one for $44. Our lender never even mentioned them.

I expect that each lender has their own rules and sets their own cutoff amount (if any). I don't think anyone should assume the $200 minimum would be a universal industry standard.

Message Edited by Revike on 05-13-2007 08:49 PM
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, below a certain level, the mortgage company probably doesn't get a big enough kickback from the original creditor to make forcing you to pay it off worthwhile.
Message 7 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

It definately depends on the lender.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 05-14-2007 06:30 AM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I wouldn't want to make that a general assumption. Frankly I don't want to sheepishly explain to a mortgage company why I'm looking to buy a house but I can't pay a cable bill. I don't want to be put in the position of sounding like an 8-year-old when I say "but....but....I paid that!" I'm working on all of mine with equal fervor, big or small. A derog is a derog is a derog as far as I'm concerned.

Message Edited by devhip on 05-14-2007 11:12 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.