Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant CU DISCRIMINATION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant CU DISCRIMINATION

Dear myFICO friends,

I recently received an email from Alliant day before yesterday confirmation that my loan denial is based on a below 600 FICO score, which is a total lie and I provided evidence as such – now I have questions. Here me out….

Recently sometime back in December I applied for a personal loan at Alliant Credit Union and they approved me for only two of the three types of Personal Loans they offer (I could be wrong, but I believe that’s what it was – I’ll have to check my emails).  The “Secured” loan is what they offered me along with their Visa Credit card of x-amount, both very low, when I attempted to apply for the Unsecured Loan (for reasons being, I know it’s the lesser desirable option, but that’s okay).  I was told they used Equifax to determine the outcome.  I did not accept their offers because their offers were not conducive to the goals my fiancée and I had.  I could not afford to tie up current funds (the secured loan option) to then have Alliant offer me the equal amount in lending for the amount that was tied up.  For every dollar you pay off the loan, that same dollar amount from your frozen cash becomes available to you – your own money.  I needed to have access to my then-current-funds in addition to more cash on top of that. 

This is where it all gets interesting.  Equifax was also used when Chase denied me the Freedom Rewards Credit Card.  I investigated why Equifax threw me under the bus.  I saw there was a red flag in “collections”, which was not rightfully mine; even though it showed that the debt was satisfactorily paid off.  I battled between Equifax and the collection agency all day, opened up a formal investigation, 30-days later Equifax deleted the entry in my account and my FICO score shot up just under 50 points.  I used to have a 730+ EQ score, lost my job, score dropped to 628, got a job, score rose to 624 with red flag in place, but 624 was fixed & did not budge from there.  Got the red flag removed upon the closure of the investigation, EQ score rose to 673 almost overnight, dropped 11 pts to 662, and then recently rose up 4 pts to 666.  My other two FICO scores are considerably higher, knocking on Mr. Number 7.

Months later I called again asking to speak to a Loan Officer for an unsecured personal loan. This lady refuses to transfer me, tried to up-sell me these other products after I told her that TWICE in the past I’ve denied them.  She was extremely assertive in stating that she needed to re-touch those topics with me even though I told her I was going to refuse, but she would not transfer me to a loan officer like I asked in the beginning unless she tried.  I let her run through the whole script – I denied them all.  I know the unsecured personal loan comes with an interest rate – I know this, but there’s a reason to the madness why I’m seeking specifically the unsecured personal loan and I have very good reason why I denied the auto-refinance, the Visa card, etc.  She argued with me that she didn’t understand why I was insisting going the route I requested and by the time I was fed up and done, she said she could transfer me.  I stated that my lunch hour was over and that she wasted my lunch time which resulted in me never having to have spoken to a live Loan Officer on that day.  Her response was that she would notate on my account that the next time I called in to speak to a LO that no one should bother me with those other questions.  I re-applied online this time (7 months later from last application) because I was disheartened with the previous experience recently of the phone call, I called and spoke to a LO to confirm that the online application went through, he assured me a COUNTER-OFFER would be made if not approved, I got an email of denial from another loan officer (a lady), NO such counter-offer was made, I emailed her back and challenged that I was approved months ago but for a lower amount I did not desire, she said that my score back then was above 600 and now came back as being LOWER than that 600 (I can furnish the proof of email), I went and PAID for current FICO scores on all 3 credit bureaus and re-emailed her with a screenshot attachment showing that someone is lying and then I told her I feel discriminated against based on my last rough encounter with the last girl whom I shot down all the efforts she made after much debate.  Now I feel they’re mad at me and making up stuff about my score that is clearly not true based on my true FICO evidence that I’ve provided.  I then left her a voicemail.

Whole business day goes by and no response.

I found a manager’s contact info and I found a VP’s name – I’m thinking of taking this up top.

Have any of you had something like this happen? Where can I complain?
-----------
**UPDATE** 
After submitting this she replied just now stating that Alliant Credit Union uses the "Equifax Pinnacle 2.0" scoring model, which I found out is based on FICO anyway.  So if back in December my unadulterated FICO EQ score was 624, then EQ Pinnacle score was at a certain number, right? If my unadulterated FICO EQ score rose to 673, wouldn't EQ Pinnacble 2.0 score have risen as well? 
------------
**UPDATE #2** - so I went to obtain Equifax's own unique score based on their scoring model, Pinnacle, and it's a 632. Still above the "below 600" that was proposed. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Alliant CU DISCRIMINATION

Pinnacle 2.0 is not a available for purchase, either from here or Equifax. It's a NextGen model which was not widely adopted. I believe it's probably the same one PenFed uses.

Nobody discriminated against you. You did not meet Alliant's lending criteria. They aren't lying to you or out to get you.

It's business. If they felt your business was worth money to them they would offer you a loan. Apparently they don't
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

while I don't understand the score that Alliant uses (it's usually over 50 points lower than ANY EQ score I have seen of mine and EQ is already my lowest) it's just how Alliant is... Go join a different Credit Union that pulls something other than EQ.... Tobyhanna pulls TU and you can join by joining consumer credit something non profit first if you don't live in the area.

Message 3 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Either way, with a 632 you don't get to just get every loan you ask for. It doesn't mean your discriminated against, it means that you don't have exceptional credit. That's not an untruth, unfortunately for you.

I agree with CA -- if you don't like the way they work, try someone else. But, I caution you -- more INQs, more score dings.
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

hey I just got a letter from Capital One for my Saks app and they pulled TU (I have it as of today from a different lender that uses Fico and it's 665, Capital One send me a TU Score of I don't know what it's a 566!! 

I understand it makes you want to scream and throw something but it's just the current state of the banks and how credit reporting and scoring works and how many different models they are allowed to use and provide you and still stay within the law

Message 5 of 7
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Kryptonians need not apply? 

Unfortunately, even if you pay off your collection, its still a red flag and has the same effect on your account until it ages and falls off. 

I suggest taking a spin in the rebuilding forum, see if you can get some help there on improving your reports. 

Good luck Kal-el!

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

she said that my score back then was above 600 and now came back as being LOWER than that 600 (I can furnish the proof of email), I went and PAID for current FICO scores on all 3 credit bureaus and re-emailed her with a screenshot attachment showing that someone is lying

There are many more thna just one FICO model in use:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Difference-in-Scores/td-p/2384297

The scores you purchase from myFICO aren't necessarily the same model that a given creditor will use.  Difference in scoring models will lead to differences on scores.  No one's lying or discriminating.  As stated above, you didn't meet the creditor's requirements.

@Anonymous wrote:

After submitting this she replied just now stating that Alliant Credit Union uses the "Equifax Pinnacle 2.0" scoring model, which I found out is based on FICO anyway.  So if back in December my unadulterated FICO EQ score was 624, then EQ Pinnacle score was at a certain number, right? If my unadulterated FICO EQ score rose to 673, wouldn't EQ Pinnacble 2.0 score have risen as well? 

Not necessarily.  You're assuming that the different models have fixed offsets.  That's not the case.  The models are different and weight factors differently.  Your myFICO score is not an "unadulterated score".  It's just one of many models in use.

@Anonymous wrote:

so I went to obtain Equifax's own unique score based on their scoring model, Pinnacle, and it's a 632. Still above the "below 600" that was proposed. 

FAKO's also use different scoring models.  You can't use one model to determine the score generated by another model whether FICO or FAKO.  It's possible that your Pinnacle score increased but without the before and after scores in hand it's impossible to say.

@Anonymous wrote:

I investigated why Equifax threw me under the bus.

No one threw you under the bus either.  Equifax maintains the reports but they are not the creditor or collecttion agency.  Monitoring reports and ensuring the accuracy of them is every individual's responsbility.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.