Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Need Advice

tag
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

American Express - Need Advice

Hello, I'm looking to apply for an American Express card but am not sure which card has the best chance of being approved. 

Transunion FICO - 673
Equifax FICO - 670
Experian FICO - 671

My FICO scores from all three are nearly identical (pulled today from this website). 

I have a BK from 2/2001 that discharged with no lates since, no collection accounts of any kind  and have about 65% credit utilization on my other credit cards.  I'd like to know which AMEX cards are "easier" to get so I can pick from one of them rather than make a mistake and apply for a high level one requiring 800+ scores.

Thanks,  ErikArizona  Smiley Happy

In My Wallet:

Total Credit Lines: $11,100 - Utilization: 6%

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express - Need Advice

Welcome! The easiest are Delta Gold, HHilton and Starwood. Your BK could be an issue. PS.. they are pulling EX these days.
Message 2 of 24
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

Thank you Tuscani for the super-fast reply!  (under two minutes!)

How far back will they normally look at a BK any idea?  I know last year when I applied for a BofA Visa they turned me down because of a BK on the record (and said they always would not even approve a secured card).  After the BK I had secured cards a few years but they all rolled over to unsecured now and I'm very timely with my payments.  How much of a problem do you think the BK would be?  Would calling them and applying give me a better chance then doing an online application?  I'm not looking for a huge limit just to get my foot in the door so to speak.

Thanks, ErikArizona Smiley Happy

In My Wallet:

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Message 3 of 24
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to say.. I have been seeing more approvals than denies for those who have applied with a BK. Yours is pretty old so I suspect you are ok. I would try for the Delta first (online). If approved, try for the HHilton or Starwood. There has been talk that the Starwood has a more generous initial credit line. Good luck! Keep us updated

PS... don't apply if Amex was part of your BK. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-23-2007 04:36 PM
Message 4 of 24
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

Tuscani,

Would applying for the Delta then the HH or SW right afterwards be an issue?  Or do they automatically close the previous one?  I only have two inquiries in the last year so don't want to run a bunch of those.  How long should I wait assuming the Delta is approved before applying for the others?  I saw the Starwood card and it looks best for me (I travel for work too but don't fly Delta but do like Starwood hotels).

Thanks, ErikArizona  Smiley Happy

In My Wallet:

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Message 5 of 24
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ErikArizona wrote:
Tuscani,

Would applying for the Delta then the HH or SW right afterwards be an issue?  Or do they automatically close the previous one?  I only have two inquiries in the last year so don't want to run a bunch of those.  How long should I wait assuming the Delta is approved before applying for the others?  I saw the Starwood card and it looks best for me (I travel for work too but don't fly Delta but do like Starwood hotels).

Thanks, ErikArizona  Smiley Happy

Right after is fine.. and doing them back to back (I recommend the Delta first) should only cost you one Inq. Remember, the 2nd app may not be instant, but you should hear something a few days after (you can check the status online).
Message 6 of 24
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

Thank you for your recent application for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American ExpressS:TRIM .  We do value your desire to establish a relationship with us.  We regret that we are unable to approve your request for the following reason(s):

Information received from Experian Consumer Reporting Agency (See below)

The factors provided by the consumer reporting agency that affected our decision are:

Bankruptcy

OK they denied it because of the BK.....  Smiley Sad

I'll just keep working at it and apply in December.  I hope to be over 700 by then and hopefully that will be enough.  I am going to call them though and ask them what weight a six year old BK has when I've been perfect since.  Maybe they have a BofA type policy with no BKs ever?  I'll see I guess.

The glass is always half full for me so this is just a minor disappointment.  I will get one of those AMEX cards eventually!  Just have to keep doing what I'm doing.  Looking at the 472 I was at after the BK and the scores now I've already climbed most of the mountain.

ErikArizona Smiley Happy

In My Wallet:

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your great attitude I'm sure things will keep improving.  It's really nice to see. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

ErikArizona wrote:
Hello, I'm looking to apply for an American Express card but am not sure which card has the best chance of being approved. 

Transunion FICO - 673
Equifax FICO - 670
Experian FICO - 671

My FICO scores from all three are nearly identical (pulled today from this website). 

I have a BK from 2/2001 that discharged with no lates since, no collection accounts of any kind  and have about 65% credit utilization on my other credit cards.  I'd like to know which AMEX cards are "easier" to get so I can pick from one of them rather than make a mistake and apply for a high level one requiring 800+ scores.

Thanks,  ErikArizona  Smiley Happy

From my pers experience I would wait till your bankruptcy is discharged.  My scores got up to a average of 680 and stayed there for 4-5 months then my bankruptcy came off as well as all the bad info on the accounts associated and bam my scores went up to 730-745 range.  I then applied for a BOA card and got a 3000 limit.  When the card came I registered the account online and asked for a 2000 credit increase and they approved it.  I also got a 7000 Union Plus card as well.  The only down points were the inq cost me 19 pts but hopefully the large credit lines will bump my score back up and in the 760's.  The fact is some creditors see the word bankruptcy on your report and get freeked out and others don't care because now with all the rule changes there's a good chance you wont be able to apply for it again so your stuck owing them whatever you charge
Message 9 of 24
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Sad

You could try reconn
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.