Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Need Advice

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express - Need Advice

Wish I had seen the post sooner I could have saved you the inquiry (inquiries). I have a BK 7 from mid 2000 scores were higher than yours utilization lower declined for the BK as well. From what I hear AMEX is getting to be one swift pain in the you know what lately. Let'em choke on their plastic. Tell ya what. I got a CITI Mastercard the Platinum Select. No AF my rate was middle to high at 15.24. Low as 10.24 APR. I got a 3K line to start. CITI is a nice prime card. Why not give them a shot? Lots of peeps love CITI. Good luck.
Message 11 of 24
Bruiser
Regular Contributor

i applied on the 19th and got denied to a bk
i called them and had a supervisor look it over, he said no because of bk
i sent them a letter and I'm waiting for a response,....i'm not going to give up very easily

but the bk is bad in the eyes of amex
BK 7 Filed: 08/07/15
BK 7 Discharged: 11/04/15
Discharge Scores: Equifax (572) - TransUnion (586) - Experian (511)
Goal: 700+
Credit Cards: NFCU nRewards ($500) - CapOne Platinum ($300) - CapOne QuicksilverOne Rewards ($300) - Victoria's Secret ($250) - Firestone ($1200)
Auto Loan: NFCU ($34.6K @ 7.7%)
Message 12 of 24
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I don't need AMEX that bad.
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied on the 12th and was denied called reconn they notified me on the 21st that they was going to stick to their guns and not approve me because of the bk from 2001. I give up!!!!! they can keep it. Credit scores are all in the 700's what more can they ask for....
Message 14 of 24
Bruiser
Regular Contributor

smallfry wrote:
I don't need AMEX that bad.

hey, they smacked me with a hard inq,..i'm going to fight for that point dropper
the little things add up, especially when you're trying to rebuild your credit
BK 7 Filed: 08/07/15
BK 7 Discharged: 11/04/15
Discharge Scores: Equifax (572) - TransUnion (586) - Experian (511)
Goal: 700+
Credit Cards: NFCU nRewards ($500) - CapOne Platinum ($300) - CapOne QuicksilverOne Rewards ($300) - Victoria's Secret ($250) - Firestone ($1200)
Auto Loan: NFCU ($34.6K @ 7.7%)
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have another question that is sort of related to this. I already have an  Amex Gold card that I have taken good care of through my last couple of years of financial hardship...( had a business go bad with lots of debts...all retired now but my credit score suffered while I got through it robbing peter to pay paul)...now coming out of this the kind folks at Amex sent me a You are PreApproved for a Platinum Card...? If so will this help me or hurt me to accept?....The status quo is fine but if accepting this raises the credit limit (which with amex im never aware of) then that would obviously help.

ideas?
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I have another question that is sort of related to this. I already have an Amex Gold card that I have taken good care of through my last couple of years of financial hardship...( had a business go bad with lots of debts...all retired now but my credit score suffered while I got through it robbing peter to pay paul)...now coming out of this the kind folks at Amex sent me a You are PreApproved for a Platinum Card...? If so will this help me or hurt me to accept?....The status quo is fine but if accepting this raises the credit limit (which with amex im never aware of) then that would obviously help.
ideas?

Do you still have the AMEX Gold card? If you get another card, it'd help with your utilization and overall available credit. You may take a hit in the short run because of the new account & inq... but the overall scores should increase due to another positive TL being added, granted it's paid on time..
Message 17 of 24
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If you're that concerned about the inquiry bump the derned thing. After two denials what kind of CL will you get from them at this point anyway? Try one of the credit unions. Probably get a line ten times what AMEX would give you and you wouldn't have to face the possible embarrassment of being declined at the pos. I wanted an AMEX a month ago myself but I've heard too much nonsense lately. They can keep their cards.
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's not exactly what I meant....they want me to UPGRADE to a Plat card.....I still have the Gold in good standing I spend about $900/mo on it and keep it current....but since its amex what diff would a Plat vs a Gold card make...if none...I see no reason to change what I've got..
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are going to give you a larger CL ...it helps your util.  And that will bump your score some.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.